Rotation problem in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the rotation problem in Quantum Mechanics is the challenge of describing and predicting the behavior of quantum particles when subjected to rotations. This problem is important because it is fundamental to understanding and applying quantum mechanics. It is addressed through the use of mathematical tools such as quantum operators and state vectors, and potential solutions include the use of spin operators and quantum field theory. Solving the rotation problem has practical applications in areas such as quantum computing, quantum sensors, and quantum communication.
Adwit
TL;DR Summary
Zettili's Quantum Mechanics book Chapter 7 ( Rotation in Classical Physics ). I don't understand the calculation. How do "sinϕ - cosϕ sinϕ" become 0 ?
rotation.jpg

How do "sinϕ - cosϕ sinϕ" become 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adwit said:
Summary:: Zettili's Quantum Mechanics book Chapter 7 ( Rotation in Classical Physics ). I don't understand the calculation. How do "sinϕ - cosϕ sinϕ" become 0 ?

View attachment 258773
How do "sinϕ - cosϕ sinϕ" become 0 ?
The first order approximation for ##\cos \phi## is ##1##. From its Taylor series.

PS There's a better answer below ...

Well, of course, it doesn't become 0, simply when you expand in powers of ##\delta## you get that
$$\sin \phi - \cos \phi \sin \phi =0+ \mathcal{O}(\delta^3)$$
Because you only seem to be interested in terms up to order ##\delta^2## you simply can put a zero there.

Likes JD_PM and PeroK
Or, in more detail, if I expand the sine and cosine to first two terms, the result is

##\sin \phi - \cos \phi \sin \phi \approx \left(\phi + \frac{1}{6}\phi^3 \right) - \left(1 - \frac{1}{2}\phi^2 \right)\left(\phi - \frac{1}{6}\phi^3 \right)\\ = \phi + \frac{1}{6}\phi^3 - \phi + \frac{1}{6}\phi^3 + \frac{1}{2}\phi^3 - \frac{1}{12}\phi^5\\ = \frac{5}{6}\phi^3 - \frac{1}{12}\phi^5 = \mathcal{O}(\phi^3 )##

Note that even if the trigonometric expression were just slightly different,

##\frac{101}{100}\cdot\sin\phi - \cos\phi \sin\phi##,

then there would also be a 1st order term in the expansion.

hilbert2 said:
Or, in more detail, if I expand the sine and cosine to first two terms, the result is

##\sin \phi - \cos \phi \sin \phi \approx \left(\phi + \frac{1}{6}\phi^3 \right) - \left(1 - \frac{1}{2}\phi^2 \right)\left(\phi - \frac{1}{6}\phi^3 \right)\\ = \phi + \frac{1}{6}\phi^3 - \phi + \frac{1}{6}\phi^3 + \frac{1}{2}\phi^3 - \frac{1}{12}\phi^5\\ = \frac{5}{6}\phi^3 - \frac{1}{12}\phi^5 = \mathcal{O}(\phi^3 )##

Note that even if the trigonometric expression were just slightly different,

##\frac{101}{100}\cdot\sin\phi - \cos\phi \sin\phi##,

then there would also be a 1st order term in the expansion.
Off topic, but the expansion shouldn't be
$$\sin \phi - \cos\phi\sin\phi = \frac{1}{2}\phi^3-\frac{1}{8}\phi^5+\mathcal{O}(\phi^6)$$?

Yes, if you include the 4th and 5th order terms in the cosine and sine, then the expansion should change a bit in the fifth order term. I'm not sure how you got ##1/2## for the coefficient of 3rd order term.

Edit: Ok, I calculated it again and you seem to be correct, sorry.

Last edited:
123.jpg
What does it mean ? I recognize phi. But what is this symbol that looks like O ? I have never seen this in my life.

Last edited:
Likes JD_PM and PeroK
Adwit said:
View attachment 258793 I understand phi. But what is this symbol that looks like O ?
Well, it reads "terms of order ##\phi^3##" and basically means that it's some function of ##\phi## that goes to zero equal or faster than the function ##\phi^3##. In your case, you are substituting ##\phi## that is the variable by a very very small number ##\delta##, then when I say ##\mathcal{O}(\delta^3)## means that the error of the approximation $$\sin\delta - \sin\delta\cos\delta \approx 0$$ is, in the worst case, proportional to ##\delta^3##.
For example, for ##\delta=0.1## you have $$\sin\delta - \sin\delta\cos\delta = 4,986 \cdot 10^{-4} = 0.4986 \ \delta^3$$
And for ##\delta=0.01## you have
$$\sin\delta - \sin\delta\cos\delta = 4,99987 \cdot 10^{-7} = 0.499987\ \delta^3$$
So, you see that is really proportional to ##\delta^3##, and that is actually proportional to ##\frac{1}{2}\delta^3## (this is what I mean in my post #5).

Likes Adwit
With all due respect hilbert2, isn't the plus sign of 1st "sinϕ expansion" actually going to be minus sign? I indicate it with red colour.
132.jpg

By the way, thanks for your explanation.

Last edited:
Adwit said:
View attachment 258793 What does it mean ? I recognize phi. But what is this symbol that looks like O ? I have never seen this in my life.
It's the socalled Landau symbol. The meaning as that with a capital O:
$$f(x)=g(x)+\mathcal{O}(x^n),$$
that
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)-g(x)}{x^n}=\text{finite}.$$
Roughly speaking it means that ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## for small ##x## differ by a quantity of order ##x^n##.

With a little o its:
$$f(x) = g(x) + \mathcal{o}(x^n) \; \Rightarrow \; \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)-g(x)}{x^n}=0.$$
Roughly speaking it means that ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## differ by a quantity going faster to 0 than ##x^n##.

The above example can be made a bit more rigorous and at the same time saving some notation. All you want to establish is that the expression has no linear term in the expansion around ##\phi=0## with the Landau-symbol notation this reads
$$\sin \phi-\cos \phi \sin \phi = \sin \phi (1-\cos \phi)=[\phi+\mathcal{O}(\phi^3)] \mathcal{O}(\phi^2)=\mathcal{O}(\phi^3).$$
This already tells you that the expression goes like ##\phi^3## and has no linear (nor quadratic) term.

Adwit said:
With all due respect hilbert2, isn't the plus sign of 1st "sinϕ expansion" actually going to be minus sign? I indicate it with red colour.
View attachment 258823
By the way, thanks for your explanation.

Yes, that was the reason for the wrong result. Thanks.

Related to Rotation problem in Quantum Mechanics

1. What is the rotation problem in quantum mechanics?

The rotation problem in quantum mechanics refers to the difficulty in describing the rotational motion of particles at the quantum level. This is because classical mechanics, which is used to describe the motion of macroscopic objects, does not apply to particles at the quantum level.

2. Why is the rotation problem important in quantum mechanics?

The rotation problem is important because it is a fundamental aspect of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. Understanding how particles rotate and interact with each other is crucial in many areas of physics, such as atomic and molecular physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum field theory.

3. How is the rotation problem solved in quantum mechanics?

The rotation problem is solved by using the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, which takes into account the wave-like nature of particles. This allows for the description of rotational motion in terms of wave functions and operators, rather than classical variables such as position and momentum.

4. What are some applications of the rotation problem in quantum mechanics?

The rotation problem has many practical applications, such as in the development of quantum computers, which rely on the manipulation of particles' rotational states to perform calculations. It is also important in the study of molecular and atomic structures, as well as in the development of new materials with specific properties.

5. Are there any current challenges in solving the rotation problem in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are still some challenges in fully understanding and solving the rotation problem in quantum mechanics. One of the main challenges is the development of a unified theory that can accurately describe both quantum and classical systems. Additionally, there is ongoing research into the effects of gravity on quantum rotational systems, which may lead to new insights and challenges in the future.