Rotation Operator Matrix Representation using |+z> and |-z> Basis

So, you have the matrix representation of R, and you have the matrix representation of S. Now multiply them together to get the matrix representation of R in the x basis.In summary, the conversation discussed finding the matrix representation of the rotation operator R(\phi k) using the states |+z> and |-z> as a basis. It also mentioned using the Pauli spin matrices and the regular method for changing bases to solve the problem.
cragar

Homework Statement

Determine the matrix representation of the rotation operator
[itex] R(\phi k) [/itex] using the states |+z> and |-z> as a basis. Using your matrix representation verify that [itex] R^{\dagger}R=1 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I need to write [itex] R| \psi> [/itex] in terms of a matrix.
If I have [itex] |\psi>=a|+z>+b|-z> [/itex]
Then do I just operate R on [itex] \psi [/itex] and then write this in terms of a matrix.
are these related to the Pauli spin matrices

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:

Homework Statement

Determine the matrix representation of the rotation operator
[itex] R(\phi k) [/itex] using the states |+z> and |-z> as a basis. Using your matrix representation verify that [itex] R^{\dagger}R=1 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I need to write [itex] R| \psi> [/itex] in terms of a matrix.
If I have [itex] |\psi>=a|+z>+b|-z> [/itex]
Then do I just operate R on [itex] \psi [/itex] and then write this in terms of a matrix.
I'm not sure exactly what you had in mind, but it's probably not the most straightforward way to solve this problem.
are these related to the Pauli spin matrices
Yes. Remember that the spin operators ##\hat{S}_x##, ##\hat{S}_y##, and ##\hat{S}_z## are generators of rotations. (This is definitely covered in your textbook.) Use that fact to calculate R.

ok thanks for your help. My book gives the matrix for R and it is in the z basis.
And I took [itex] R^{\dagger}R [/itex] and it equaled one. But If the matrix wasn't in the
z basis would I use the roatation matrix to get the answer.
I would take [itex] S^{\dagger}RS [/itex] and this would give the correct R for the problem.

I don't understand what you're asking. Well, I sort of do, but I'd like you to clarify your question. What is S? How did you find S?

[itex] s= \[left (begin{array}{cc}<+z|+x>& <+z|-x>\\ <-z|+x>& <-z|-x> \end{array}\right)\][/itex]
where the bras are what basis I am going to and the kets are the basis that I was in. I don't really know how S is derived though

Last edited:
Yes, that's the regular method you use to change bases. You're doing the same thing you learned in linear algebra. It's just the notation that's different.

Related to Rotation Operator Matrix Representation using |+z> and |-z> Basis

1. What are rotation operators?

Rotation operators are mathematical tools used to describe the rotational motion of objects in space. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to analyze and manipulate rotations.

2. How do rotation operators work?

Rotation operators work by defining a transformation matrix that describes how an object rotates around a specific axis or point in space. This matrix is then applied to the coordinates of an object to calculate its new position after a rotation.

3. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a 3x3 matrix that represents a rotation in three-dimensional space. It is composed of nine elements, with each column or row representing the three axes of rotation (x, y, and z) and how they are affected by the rotation.

4. What are the applications of rotation operators?

Rotation operators have a wide range of applications in various fields. In physics, they are used to study the behavior of rotating objects, such as planets and celestial bodies. In engineering, they are used to design and analyze rotating machinery. In computer graphics, they are used to create animations and simulate realistic movements.

5. How are rotation operators related to other mathematical concepts?

Rotation operators are closely related to other mathematical concepts such as vectors, matrices, and trigonometry. They also have connections to concepts in linear algebra, such as eigenvectors and eigenvalues, which are used to calculate the rotational properties of an object.