Rotation and varying friction coefficient

In summary, the conversation involves solving a problem with a cylinder on an inclined plane, where the objective is to find the point at which the cylinder starts slipping. The problem involves determining the minimum friction force required to prevent slipping, and then using that information to calculate the minimum value of μ (coefficient of friction) necessary for the cylinder to not slip. The conversation includes a calculation of the friction force, as well as a discussion on the meaning of "slipping" and the application of Newton's 2nd law for rotation and translation. The conversation also touches on the use of conservation of energy to solve the problem, but ultimately concludes that it is not applicable in this scenario.
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not able to understand the question and build a scenario in my mind. The question asks the distance traveled when the cylinder starts slipping. I can't think of the situation when the cylinder "slips". I am not sure which equations to start with and i suppose this question involves some integration too.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 496
Physics news on Phys.org
How much friction force is required to prevent slipping?

Doc Al said:
How much friction force is required to prevent slipping?

I am not sure but do i have to make the equations for torque and the forces to find the frictional force?

Pranav-Arora said:
I am not sure but do i have to make the equations for torque and the forces to find the frictional force?
Yes. Apply Newton's 2nd law for rotation and translation.

Doc Al said:
Yes. Apply Newton's 2nd law for rotation and translation.

Let the mass of cylinder as M, radius R, friction force f, α as angular acceleration, θ as angle of inclination, and a as the linear acceleration, we have
[tex]fR=\frac{MR^2}{2}α[/tex]
Since, the cylinder does not slip, the equation α=a/R is applicable, so
[tex]f=Ma[/tex]
Now,
[tex]Mg\sin(\theta)-f=Ma[/tex]
[tex]Mg\sin(\theta)=2Ma[/tex]
[tex]a=\frac{g\sin(\theta)}{2}[/tex]
Therefore, the friction force required to prevent slipping is
[tex]f=\frac{Mg\sin(\theta)}{2}[/tex]
Is this correct?

Pranav-Arora said:
Let the mass of cylinder as M, radius R, friction force f, α as angular acceleration, θ as angle of inclination, and a as the linear acceleration, we have
[tex]fR=\frac{MR^2}{2}α[/tex]
Good.
Since, the cylinder does not slip, the equation α=a/R is applicable, so
[tex]f=Ma[/tex]
Redo that step and all that follows.

But you're on the right track. Once you have the correct expression for the friction force, ask yourself what minimum value of μ is required to provide that force.

Doc Al said:
Redo that step and all that follows.
Oops, made a small mistake there. :redface:
The f would be
[tex]f=\frac{Ma}{2}[/tex]
Solving using the same method as before, i get
[tex]f=\frac{Mg\sin(\theta)}{3}[/tex]

Doc Al said:
...ask yourself what minimum value of μ is required to provide that force.

I still can't get the meaning of the problem. Doesn't the cylinder starts slipping the instant it is released or does "slipping" have a different meaning here? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
The f would be
Good.

I still can't get the meaning of the problem. Doesn't the cylinder starts slipping the instant it is released or does "slipping" have a different meaning here?
As long as the surfaces are capable of providing the needed friction force (which you have just calculated), there will be no slipping. But on this surface, the value of μ (and thus the maximum available static friction) decreases with distance down the incline. At some point the surfaces will not be able to provide the needed friction and the cylinder will begin slipping. Find that point.

Pranav-Arora said:
The f would be

I still can't get the meaning of the problem. Doesn't the cylinder starts slipping the instant it is released or does "slipping" have a different meaning here? :confused:
The cylinder starts rolling when released if the static friction is enough. Remember the force of static friction ≤ μ FN (FN is the normal force).

ehild

Doc Al said:
As long as the surfaces are capable of providing the needed friction force (which you have just calculated), there will be no slipping. But on this surface, the value of μ (and thus the maximum available static friction) decreases with distance down the incline. At some point the surfaces will not be able to provide the needed friction and the cylinder will begin slipping. Find that point.

ehild said:
The cylinder starts rolling when released if the static friction is enough. Remember the force of static friction ≤ μ FN (FN is the normal force).

ehild

Thanks you both for the explanation, i have got the right answer. :smile:

To find that point, i equate the friction force provided by the surface to the friction force required to prevent slipping.
[tex]μN=\frac{Mg\sin(\theta)}{3}[/tex]
Here N is the normal reaction due to the inclined plane and is equal to Mgcos(θ).
[tex]\frac{2-3x}{\sqrt{3}}Mg\cos(\theta)=\frac{Mg\sin(\theta)}{3}[/tex]
Solving, i get
[tex]x=\frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Thanks once again!

Good! :approve:

Here is my attempt at the problem and i am getting an incorrect result ...Kindly check my work and let me know where am i making mistake

Since at the point of slipping maximum static friction acts

[itex]f = μN[/itex]

where [itex]N = Mgcosθ[/itex]

Thus [itex]f =μMgcosθ[/itex]

but at the same time ,

[itex]f = \frac{Ma}{2}[/itex]

So, [itex]\frac{Ma}{2}=μMgcosθ[/itex]
[itex]a=2μgcosθ[/itex]

now θ =60°

[itex]a=μg[/itex]
[itex]μ =\frac{2-3x}{\sqrt3}[/itex]

[itex]a=(\frac{2-3x}{\sqrt3})g[/itex]

Writing [itex]a=v\frac{dv}{dx}[/itex]

[itex]v\frac{dv}{dx}=(\frac{2-3x}{\sqrt3})g[/itex]

[itex]vdv={(\frac{2-3x}{\sqrt3})g}dx[/itex]

[itex]\int_{0}^{v}vdv=\int_{0}^{x}{(\frac{2-3x}{\sqrt3})g}dx[/itex]

[itex]\frac{v^2}{2}=\frac{2}{\sqrt3}gx - \frac{3}{2\sqrt3}g{x^2}[/itex]

Hence ,[itex]v^2=\frac{4}{\sqrt3}gx - \frac{3}{\sqrt3}g{x^2} (1)[/itex]

Now, we will apply Conservation of energy

When the cylinder has moved by a distance x along the incline ,then

Loss in potential energy =Gain in Kinetic energy

Since rolling without slipping occurs,we can put v=ωR and [itex]I = \frac{MR^2}{2}[/itex]

[itex]mgxsinθ = \frac{1}{2}Mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}Iω^2[/itex]

Solving ,we get [itex]v^2=\frac{2}{\sqrt3}gx (2) [/itex]

Equating (1) and (2) we get x=2/3 which is incorrect.

Where am i getting it wrong?

You can not apply conservation of energy.

ehild

ehild said:
You can not apply conservation of energy.

ehild

why can't we apply conservation of energy?? friction is not doing any work since the cylinder rolls without slipping ...energy is definitely conserved till the point cylinder starts to slip

Well, yes, you are right... The energy is conserved.

You used the maximum static friction to calculate the speed. a=2Fs/m, but Fs is not μgsosθ during rolling. It reaches that value only at the end when the cylinder starts to slip.
You can get the acceleration a from the kinematic equations for translation of the CM and rotation about the CM.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Well, yes, you are right... The energy is conserved.

You used the maximum static friction to calculate the speed. a=2Fs/m, but Fs is not μgsosθ during rolling. It reaches that value only at the end when the cylinder starts to slip.
You can get the acceleration a from the kinematic equations for translation of the CM and rotation about the CM.

ehild

Okay...Then what should I equate 'a' (accelerataion) with ? Kindly let me know how then will i be able to calculate the speed 'v' at distance 'x' .I have showed you the complete working ...

You do not need v really. But if you want it, find the acceleration first and integrate. What equations do you have for the motion of the cylinder?

ehild

For translation motion
[itex]N=Mgcosθ[/itex]
[itex]Mgsinθ - f = Ma[/itex]

For rotational motion

[itex]fR = Iα[/itex]

For rolling without slipping [itex]α = \frac{a}{R}[/itex]

Putting these values , we get

[itex]a=\frac{2}{3}gsinθ[/itex]

Integrating , we get [itex]v^2=\frac{2}{\sqrt3}gx[/itex] which is the same result which we get from applying conservation of energy

What then is the condition mathematically , which we can apply in finding when the cylinder starts to slip ?

Well, a can be determined from conservation of energy. You know a, then you can find the force of static friction. What is it?

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Well, a can be determined from conservation of energy.

How can we find a from conservation of energy ?

ehild said:
You know a, then you can find the force of static friction. What is it?

Okay...then we are on the same lines as what has been done earlier by Pranav...i.e equating [itex]\frac{Mgsinθ}{3} =μN[/itex] .Isnt it??

Last edited:
yes, it is. At the brink of slipping, Fs=μN.

As for acceleration, you can find v from conservation of energy, and then you can differentiate... A bit complicated, and has no sense to do it now. The velocity was not needed at all.

ehild

Related to Rotation and varying friction coefficient

1. How does rotation affect friction coefficient?

Rotation can impact friction coefficient in two ways. First, when an object is rotating, it experiences a centrifugal force that can reduce the normal force between the object and the surface it is in contact with, resulting in a lower friction coefficient. Second, rotation can also cause the contact point between the object and the surface to move, leading to variations in friction coefficient depending on the location of the contact point.

2. What is the relationship between angular velocity and friction coefficient?

The relationship between angular velocity and friction coefficient is not a direct one. However, as angular velocity increases, the centrifugal force and the movement of the contact point also increase, leading to a decrease in friction coefficient.

3. How does the type of surface affect the friction coefficient during rotation?

The type of surface can have a significant impact on friction coefficient during rotation. Rough or uneven surfaces can lead to variations in the contact point and result in a varying friction coefficient. Smoother surfaces, on the other hand, may have a more consistent friction coefficient regardless of rotation.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in a rotating system?

Static friction refers to the force required to overcome the initial resistance between two surfaces in contact, while kinetic friction refers to the force required to maintain motion between the two surfaces. In a rotating system, static friction may be higher due to the additional centrifugal force and movement of the contact point.

5. How can friction coefficient be measured in a rotating system?

Friction coefficient in a rotating system can be measured using a variety of methods, such as a tribometer or a torque sensor. These devices measure the force required to overcome the resistance between two surfaces and can calculate the friction coefficient based on this data.