Rotating disk and its dynamical parameters

In summary, The conversation discusses a scenario involving a rotating disk and a particle sent upwards in the z-axis direction. The question is what the particle would experience and the effect of gravity on the situation. The concepts of rotating frames, the Coriolis effect, and centripetal force are considered. The idea of using free body diagrams is also mentioned and it is suggested that it may be easier to work in a standard inertial frame.
James F
Hey all,

I have a question that I am trying to figure out. It is more qualitative than anything, but I am concerned with the concepts that are involved in a scenario like this.

Suppose we have a rotating disk with the plane of the disk perpendicular to the z-axis. Now we send a particle upward in the z-axis direction away from the plane of the disk. What would the particle experience and effect? We should consider situations with and without gravity.

I first thought rotating frames so the Coriolis effect, but then also considered centripetal. How would the effect of gravity change either one of these component, and for that matter how would gravity change the situation at all?

Thanks for any response!

Physics news on Phys.org
"Completed masters" in what field?

Have you looked at the "free body diagrams" for the various cases?

Likes berkeman
Bystander said:
"Completed masters" in what field?

Have you looked at the "free body diagrams" for the various cases?

For free body diagrams I have not considered them for the rotating frames, but I would assume the acceleration would take on Coriolis and centrifugal components.

You don't have to work in a rotating frame at all. It's possible to do everything in a standard inertial frame and then transform the results at the end. Depending on what you want to do, this might be the easiest way to go about it.

Related to Rotating disk and its dynamical parameters

1. What is a rotating disk and how does it work?

A rotating disk is a circular object that spins around a central axis. It works by applying a force, such as a motor or hand crank, to one edge of the disk, causing it to rotate. This rotation creates angular momentum, which is the measure of how much an object is rotating.

2. What are the dynamical parameters of a rotating disk?

The dynamical parameters of a rotating disk include its mass, radius, and moment of inertia. The mass is the amount of matter in the disk, while the radius is the distance from the center to the edge. The moment of inertia is a measure of how the mass is distributed around the axis of rotation.

3. How do the dynamical parameters affect the motion of a rotating disk?

The dynamical parameters affect the motion of a rotating disk by determining its angular velocity and angular acceleration. The moment of inertia and mass affect the amount of torque required to change the rotation speed, while the radius affects the speed at which the disk rotates.

4. What is the relationship between the torque and angular acceleration of a rotating disk?

The torque applied to a rotating disk is directly proportional to its angular acceleration. This means that the greater the torque applied, the greater the angular acceleration, and vice versa.

5. How is the conservation of angular momentum applied to a rotating disk?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This principle is applied to rotating disks, where the initial angular momentum before any external forces are applied will remain constant throughout the rotation, as long as there is no external torque acting on the disk.