Rotating ball and string Rotational Kinetic Energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rotational kinetic energy and its relation to linear kinetic energy. It is mentioned that in certain situations, rotational kinetic energy can be neglected due to the small size of the rotating object or the string/rod it is attached to. The conversation also touches on the use of rotational kinetic energy in solving problems involving rotating objects, such as a pendulum. It is explained that the traditional school solution for pendulum problems is still correct, but uses a slightly different length value.
Vontox7

Homework Statement

Hello,
I am a bit confused on when rotational kinetic energy exists and when linear kinetic energy exists. For example when we spin a string with a ball attached to the end it has kinetic energy of 0.5mv^2 of the ball when we were solving for velocity of the ball at certain points in the vertical circle of the ball. But know that i learned rotational motion, why don't we consider rotational energy in that example instead of just mgh and 0.5mv^2? There was a question where there was a ball attached to a bar and the system of bar and ball attached to the bar are moving and we used just rotational kinetic energy to solve the question and didn't account for 0.5mv^2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking maybe it has to do with something about the string maybe being negligible or something but still not sure. I would like some clarification on this matter please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Vontox7! :smile:
Vontox7 said:
… when we spin a string with a ball attached to the end it has kinetic energy of 0.5mv^2 of the ball when we were solving for velocity of the ball at certain points in the vertical circle of the ball. But know that i learned rotational motion, why don't we consider rotational energy in that example instead of just mgh and 0.5mv^2?

If the string has length R and the ball has radius r, then the KE is 1/2 mR2ω2 + 1/2 2/5 mr2ω2

= 1/2 m(R2 + 2/5 r22

r2 is usually so much smaller than R2 that the extra energy can be ignored. :wink:

Okay so just simplifying KE = 1/2m(R^2+0)w^2 =1/2mR^2w^2 = 1/2mR^2(v^2/R^2) = 1/2mv^2 ?
Btw thank you very much for help it is greatly appreciated !

tiny-tim said:
If the string has length R and the ball has radius r, then the KE is 1/2 mR2ω2 + 1/2 2/5 mr2ω2
Strictly speaking, since the string is attached to the outside of the ball:
1/2 m(R+r)2ω2 + 1/2 2/5 mr2ω2
There was a question where there was a ball attached to a bar and the system of bar and ball attached to the bar are moving and we used just rotational kinetic energy to solve the question and didn't account for 0.5mv^2
For the motion of the mass centre about the axis, you can handle it in either of two ways:
- as linear motion, mv2/2
- as rotational motion, mr2ω2/2
Since v = rω, these are the same.
If you also want to account for the rotation of the object about its mass centre then you add Iω2/2.

The problem is I know doubt the method we used back in high school to solve questions of objects rotating in a circle like a pendulum problem and using energy to find the balls maximum height and so forth because back then we didn't account for rotation kinetic energy why? Maybe I am not understanding what exactly is rotational kinetic energy.

Hi Vontox7! :smile:
Vontox7 said:
Maybe I am not understanding what exactly is rotational kinetic energy.

There's nothing special about rotational kinetic energy.

It's just the sum (strictly, integral) of the ordinary 1/2 mv2 kinetic energy of the individual parts.
The problem is I know doubt the method we used back in high school to solve questions of objects rotating in a circle like a pendulum problem and using energy to find the balls maximum height and so forth because back then we didn't account for rotation kinetic energy why?

The school pendulum solution has a simple L in it.

That L is √(R2 + 2/5 r2).

Since you can't measure L very precisely (and since the string or rod isn't totally negligible either), the school solution is correct, it just uses a slightly different L. :wink:

• Love
Likes megankayler1
I like basis physics

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its rotation. It is dependent on the mass and rotational velocity of the object.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the object and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the difference between rotational kinetic energy and linear kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy associated with the rotation of an object, while linear kinetic energy is the energy associated with the movement of an object in a straight line. They have different formulas and units of measurement.

4. When is rotational kinetic energy important?

Rotational kinetic energy is important in situations where objects are rotating, such as a spinning top or a swinging pendulum. It is also important in understanding the motion of rotating machinery, such as turbines and motors.

5. Can rotational kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or electrical energy, through various processes such as friction or electromagnetic induction.