Root Locus Question: Unraveling Intuition for Stability Analysis

In summary, the closed loop system is stable if the two poles that never move to the right half of the s-plane are located at the same gain as the open loop system.
alexmath

Homework Statement

I've been trying for a week to understand root locus and how it works but what i got is a big confusion that's why I'm asking here for help. Why do we only look at open loop transfer function of the system when we are supposed to know the stability of the closed loop system? I don't even understand the use of this method at all, why don't we look at the poles of the closed loop system which are at 1 / K * Gd in the example below. I don't want you to solve me any problems but please give me the intuition behind this concept.
Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.4 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
alexmath said:
Why do we only look at open loop transfer function of the system when we are supposed to know the stability of the closed loop system?

The short answer is: You don't.

Say you have a feed forward transfer function, A(s), in the loop, and a feed backword transfer function, B(s). Mason's rule then says, that the transfer function for the closed loop will be:

H(s) = A(s) / ( 1 + A(s) * B(s) ).

In your attached file, A(s) = k / ( s3 - 3s2 - 10s ), B(s) = 1.

Using Mason's rule you will find:

H(s) = k / ( s3 - 3s2 - 10s + k ).

The characteristic equation for the closed loop is: s3 - 3s2 - 10s + k = 0.

By solving this equation with different values of k, you can plot the root locus.

( It seems to be a highly unstable loop. )

Last edited:
alexmath said:
Why do we only look at open loop transfer function of the system when we are supposed to know the stability of the closed loop system?
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Nyquist Plot?

Yes - Hesch is right. The denominator roots of the closed-loop transfer function are identical to the poles of this function.
And the root locus, therefore, gives you the locus of the poles with the gain as parameter.
Because of stability criteria, these poles (the roots of the denominator) must not move to the right half of the s-plane.
Hence, you can see for which gain values the poles remain within the left half - indicating stability.

LvW said:
Hence, you can see for which gain values the poles remain within the left half - indicating stability.

Two of the poles will never be in the left half if gain is positive.

One of the poles will never be in the left half if gain is negative.

Related to Root Locus Question: Unraveling Intuition for Stability Analysis

1. What is Root Locus Analysis?

Root Locus Analysis is a graphical method used to determine the stability of a closed-loop control system. It involves plotting the roots of the characteristic equation of the system as a function of a system parameter, usually the gain. This allows for the visualization of how the stability of the system changes with varying parameters.

2. How is Root Locus Analysis used in control systems?

Root Locus Analysis is used to assess the stability and performance of a closed-loop control system. It provides valuable insights into the behavior of the system under different conditions and can be used to design controllers that meet specific stability and performance requirements.

3. What is the intuition behind Root Locus Analysis?

The intuition behind Root Locus Analysis is that the poles of the characteristic equation of a system determine its stability. By plotting the roots of this equation as a function of a parameter, we can see how the stability of the system changes with that parameter. This helps us understand how different system parameters affect the overall behavior of the system.

4. What are the key features of a Root Locus plot?

The key features of a Root Locus plot are the branches, poles, and zeros. The branches represent the locus of the roots of the characteristic equation as the parameter varies. The poles are the points on the plot where the branches intersect the real axis, and the zeros are the points where the branches intersect the imaginary axis. The breakaway and break-in points, as well as the centroid, are also important features to note.

5. How can Root Locus Analysis be used to improve system performance?

Root Locus Analysis can be used to tune controller parameters in order to improve system performance. By selecting a desired location for the closed loop poles on the Root Locus plot, the corresponding controller parameters can be determined. This allows for the design of a controller that meets specific performance requirements, such as faster response time or reduced overshoot.