Rolling a half full water bottle and simple harmonic motion

In summary, the conversation revolved around a phenomenon observed by user sungj, who noticed that when rolling a half-full water bottle with a certain amount of force, the bottle would oscillate back and forth before stopping. The users discussed whether this was an example of simple harmonic motion and whether changing the volume of water in the bottle would affect the rate of oscillation. They also discussed possible explanations for this phenomenon, such as momentum and potential energy. Sungj shared their plan to conduct an experiment using a data logger and an inclined plane to further investigate the phenomenon. The conversation ended with a request for advice and a suggestion to share the findings with others.
sungj25
hi I am just saw this phenomenon and see if there is any links to the topic that I am learning in school.

So when i rolled a half full (depends on how optimistic you are :smile:) water bottle with a certain amount of force, the bottle went back and forth for a little while before stopping.
Is this simple harmonic motion? and does it affect the rate of oscillation (wavelength? I am not sure) if I change the volume of the water in the bottle?

Oh and can anyone explain why it happens? i think its something to do with momentum right...?

thank you, and have a nice day! (:

Physics news on Phys.org
sungj25 said:
hi I am just saw this phenomenon and see if there is any links to the topic that I am learning in school.

So when i rolled a half full (depends on how optimistic you are :smile:) water bottle with a certain amount of force, the bottle went back and forth for a little while before stopping.
Is this simple harmonic motion? and does it affect the rate of oscillation (wavelength? I am not sure) if I change the volume of the water in the bottle?

Oh and can anyone explain why it happens? i think its something to do with momentum right...?

thank you, and have a nice day! (:

Welcome to Physics Forums, sungj.

First, I want to note (as a teacher) that's a wonderful observation. Noticing something like that and want to explain it is a wonderful mindset. To carry on with that approach, I encourage you to experiment. Is the water doing anything interesting when the direction reverses? Does it happen with an empty bottle? Can you tell if changing the amount of water has any effect?

I tried to get a bottle to do and and could not. I tried two plastic bottles and one glass one. Can you describe the bottle you used?

Fewmet said:
Welcome to Physics Forums, sungj.

First, I want to note (as a teacher) that's a wonderful observation. Noticing something like that and want to explain it is a wonderful mindset. To carry on with that approach, I encourage you to experiment. Is the water doing anything interesting when the direction reverses? Does it happen with an empty bottle? Can you tell if changing the amount of water has any effect?

I tried to get a bottle to do and and could not. I tried two plastic bottles and one glass one. Can you describe the bottle you used?

Thanks for the compliments (:
um I tried with a normal plastic bottle and a soda can, they both worked (but i had less than half the bottle of water).
I also noticed that it also works with other materials. I tried it with beans and the bottle still oscillates around a fixed point before stopping.
oh and I was really lucky and got the permission to use school equipments, so I might use a data logger to conduct a proper experiment for this!
I'm thinking of changing the mass of the water in the bottle to see how it affects the frequency of SHC...
Basically I'm going to roll the bottle from an inclined plane (to control the force/velocity? because i think it has the same potential energy.. I need more advise on this..). When the bottle finish rolling the inclined plane, I will let it continue to roll on the flat surface and set up the data logger from a certain distance and record the displacement change against time, giving me some sort of sine curve on the graph.
But when I was doing the background research I noticed there are way more factors that I have to consider, such as rotational kinetic energy and moment of inertia, that I never thought about. (but these are beyond my cover... haha)
If possible, I would like some advises that can improve my experiment.

PS: even though this experiment is beyond my knowledge level, I think I will still enjoy it (:

Fewmet said:
Push it harder. The effect depends on the initial acceleration.

sungj25 said:
Basically I'm going to roll the bottle from an inclined plane (to control the force/velocity? because i think it has the same potential energy.. I need more advise on this..). When the bottle finish rolling the inclined plane, I will let it continue to roll on the flat surface and set up the data logger from a certain distance and record the displacement change against time, giving me some sort of sine curve on the graph.
But when I was doing the background research I noticed there are way more factors that I have to consider, such as rotational kinetic energy and moment of inertia, that I never thought about. (but these are beyond my cover... haha)
If possible, I would like some advises that can improve my experiment.

PS: even though this experiment is beyond my knowledge level, I think I will still enjoy it (:

Those are reasonable things to try. Be sure to run many trials and to really think in advance about what your data might look like and what it might tell you. Are you just messing around with it to see what you can find out, or are you trying to answer a specific question (like "Is this simple harmonic motion")?

I don't think you have to take rotational kinetic energy into account. It will only be the rotational kinetic energy of the bottle, and the walls of the bottle are probably so thin the bottle rotating so slow that the energy will be too small to worry about.

You might want to test A.T.'s assertion that the phenomenon depends on the initial acceleration and see ig you can figure out why.

This is an engaging phenomenon that I think my students will also want to investigate. Can you post here about what you find out?

Related to Rolling a half full water bottle and simple harmonic motion

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth between two points, with a constant period and amplitude. It is often seen in systems that have a restoring force, such as a spring or pendulum.

2. What factors affect the period of a water bottle rolling back and forth?

The period of a water bottle rolling back and forth is affected by the mass of the bottle, the angle at which it is rolled, and the surface on which it is rolling. The period is also influenced by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

3. How does the amount of water in the bottle affect its motion?

The amount of water in the bottle affects its motion by changing its mass, which in turn affects its inertia. A bottle with more water will have a higher mass and therefore a greater inertia, making it harder to change its motion.

4. Can the simple harmonic motion of a water bottle rolling be used to measure acceleration due to gravity?

Yes, the simple harmonic motion of a water bottle rolling can be used to measure acceleration due to gravity. By measuring the period of the motion and knowing the length of the rolling surface, the acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the equation g = 4π²L/T², where L is the length of the rolling surface and T is the period of the motion.

5. How does the shape of the bottle affect its simple harmonic motion?

The shape of the bottle does not significantly affect its simple harmonic motion as long as the center of mass of the bottle remains at the same height during the motion. However, a bottle with a wider base will have a lower center of mass, making it more stable and less likely to tip over during the rolling motion.