Rolling a cylinder down a incline

In summary, when a cylinder rolls down and incline without slipping, some of its kinetic energy is lost to heat.
MatthewQueen
if a cylinder rolls down and incline without slipping

then i decrease the coefficient of friction and it does slip a little will it have more, less, or the same kinetic energy as before

I think less, my physics teacher says the same

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome.

What is the formula for kinetic energy? Why do you think it will have less?

If a cylinder doesn't slip its kinetic energy won't decrease.
If a cylinder slip its kinetic energy will decrease.

if you don't know the formula for kinetic energy then you cannot help me

that's what i thought, can you explain why?
my physics teacher won't believe me

I know what the formula is. We try to help you work your way to the answer as opposed to just giving you the solution.

So explain your reasoning as to why you think that the kinetic energy will decrease.

.5mv^2 and .5Iw^2

because its slipping and there is friction

we arent considering air resistance

MatthewQueen said:
we arent considering air resistance
Above a certain slope angle, the cylinder will stop rolling and slide. Find the angle.
Bob S

If the friction is non-zero and there is slippage, then some of the energy is converted into heat by the sliding friction. You mention the two components of kinetic energy, linear and angular. You should work out an example, for a given angle and coefficient of dynamic friction (assume the initial state involves sliding), what is the energy lost due to friction (mgh - total energy of cylinder when it reaches bottom of incline)?

Last edited:
Hmm. MatthewQueen is asking for a formula.

First;
If there is no friction, there is no energy lost to heat.
If there is 100% rolling friction, as in a lossless gear rolling down a rack, there is no energy lost to friction.

Secondly, the kinetic energy is less with any degree of rolling friction--100% or otherwise, as the potential energy is partitioned between the kinetic energy of the center of mass, and the rotational energy.

When the cylinder slipping , it similar to a box move on the ground. So when the cylinder slip. Some kinetic energy will lost to heat. The kinetic energy that lost to heat is fs
where f is the friction
s is the distance

IPhO' 2008 said:
The kinetic energy that lost to heat is fs, where f is the friction, s is the distance
For a sliding box this is true, but for the cylinder that friction force is used to increase the angular kinetic energy, so the heat loss would be less than fs.

I think the increasing angular kinetic energy caused by the decreasing potential energy of the cylinder.
or have I misunderstood?

IPhO' 2008 said:
I think the increasing angular kinetic energy caused by the decreasing potential energy of the cylinder.
Both linear and angular kinetic energy increase as gravitational potential energy decreases (as the cylinder rolls and slips down the incline). The question is how much energy is lost due to friction as heat for a given coefficient of dynamic friction and slope angle? Then again, if the answer is to simply know that the total energy of the cylinder will less in the case when friction converts some of the potential energy into heat, then knowing the exact amount of the loss isn't needed to answer the original question.

Last edited:

Related to Rolling a cylinder down a incline

1. How does the mass of the cylinder affect its rolling down an incline?

The mass of the cylinder affects its rolling down an incline by determining its acceleration rate. A heavier cylinder will have a greater force of gravity pulling it down the incline, resulting in a faster acceleration compared to a lighter cylinder.

2. What role does the angle of the incline play in the rolling of a cylinder?

The angle of the incline affects the speed and distance that the cylinder will roll. A steeper incline will result in a greater force of gravity pulling the cylinder down, resulting in a faster speed and longer distance rolled.

3. Is the shape of the cylinder important in its rolling down an incline?

Yes, the shape of the cylinder can affect its rolling down an incline. A cylinder with a larger diameter will have a greater surface area in contact with the incline, resulting in more friction and a slower speed. A cylinder with a smaller diameter will have less surface area and less friction, resulting in a faster speed.

4. How does the surface of the incline affect the rolling of a cylinder?

The surface of the incline can affect the rolling of a cylinder by providing more or less friction. A rough surface will result in more friction and a slower speed, while a smooth surface will result in less friction and a faster speed. The material of the surface can also affect the amount of friction.

5. What other factors can affect the rolling of a cylinder down an incline?

Other factors that can affect the rolling of a cylinder down an incline include air resistance, the shape and weight distribution of the cylinder, and any external forces acting on the cylinder. Additionally, the temperature and humidity of the environment can also affect the friction between the cylinder and the incline.