Rollercoaster homework problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a roller-coaster car with a mass of 1150 kg passing over a circular hill of radius 16 m at a constant speed. The normal force (FN) on the car from the track is calculated using the equation F = m*(v^2)/R. The second part of the conversation involves determining FN for different speeds of the car. The attempted solutions resulted in -17468.5 N for b) and -6088.53 N for a), but the sign of the force may be incorrect. It is important to consider the direction of the force and whether it is possible for the track to pull the roller-coaster.
arrax

Homework Statement

A roller-coaster car has a mass of 1150 kg when fully loaded with passengers. As the car passes over the top of a circular hill of radius 16 m, its speed is not changing. (a) At the top of the hill, what is the normal force (using the negative sign for the downward direction) FN on the car from the track if the car's speed is v = 8.5 m/s? (b) What is FN if v = 20 m/s?

m=1150kg
R=16m
v= 8.5 or 20

Homework Equations

a=v^2/R
F=m*[(v^2)/R]
-FN-mg=m[(-v^2)/R]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation I got b) correct with -17468.5 N. However, using the same equation with a) I get -6088.53 and it's incorrect. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Also, this is from Wiley Plus.

Physics news on Phys.org

arrax said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation I got b) correct with -17468.5 N. However, using the same equation with a) I get -6088.53 and it's incorrect. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Also, this is from Wiley Plus.

Check the sign of the force.

ehild

aside from a possible wrong sign, did you get a different number?

Think: can the track pull the roller coaster? What happens if upward force is needed to keep it on circular path?

ehild

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze and double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. In this case, it seems like there may be an error in your calculation for part (a). It may be helpful to break down the equation into smaller steps and double check each step to identify where the error may be occurring. Additionally, it may be beneficial to use a calculator or software program to help with the calculations and to avoid human error. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor. Remember, in science, accuracy is key, so it is important to carefully check your work to ensure the correct answer.

Related to Rollercoaster homework problem

1. What is the "Rollercoaster homework problem"?

The "Rollercoaster homework problem" is a hypothetical problem used in physics and engineering courses to teach students about the principles of potential and kinetic energy. It involves calculating the speed and height of a rollercoaster at different points along its track.

2. Why is the "Rollercoaster homework problem" used in physics and engineering courses?

The "Rollercoaster homework problem" is used in these courses because it provides a real-life application of the principles and equations learned in class. It allows students to see how these concepts are used in the design and operation of rollercoasters, which can be both fun and educational.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving the "Rollercoaster homework problem"?

The key concepts involved in solving the "Rollercoaster homework problem" include conservation of energy, potential and kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, and the work-energy theorem. Students must also understand how to use equations such as the law of conservation of energy and the equations for potential and kinetic energy.

4. How do you approach solving the "Rollercoaster homework problem"?

The first step in solving the "Rollercoaster homework problem" is to draw a diagram of the rollercoaster and label the different points along the track. Then, using the principles and equations learned in class, students can calculate the potential and kinetic energy at each point. Finally, they can use the law of conservation of energy to determine the speed and height of the rollercoaster at each point.

5. What are some common mistakes students make when solving the "Rollercoaster homework problem"?

Some common mistakes students make when solving the "Rollercoaster homework problem" include forgetting to consider all forms of energy, using the wrong equations, and not labeling their diagram correctly. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. It is helpful to double-check all calculations and make sure they make sense intuitively.