Roller Bearing Specs: Load Capacity, Size, Friction Coefficient

In summary, the conversation is about finding a website or ideas about the capacity of roller bearings. The main points of interest are the size, load capacity, coefficient of friction, and examples of where they are used. The person is specifically looking for a large load, low coefficient roller bearing and wondering if they are used in pulleys. They mention doing failure investigations and say that these bearings have been replaced in Europe due to failures. They also suggest checking manufacturer websites for information and recommendations. The person recommends SKF as a reliable manufacturer for bearings.
gloo
I am looking for a website or even some good ideas about the capacity of roller bearings

I am especially interested in knowledge of

1. size (diameter) - larger the better
2. load capacity - large load in particular
3. known coefficient of fricition ( some tables say ~ .0012? or even less)
4. examples of where used (i.e crane, shipping container, elevator etc..)

Ideally, i am looking for the existence of a really large load ( over 2000 metric tons?) low coefficient roller bearing. Do they employ these bearings in pulleys and can anyone tell me where they are used (large load pulleys).

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tell us more about your application or project.

I can remember doing failure investigations into bearings carrying the load levels you describe.

Following spectacular failures of these across Europe, they have been generally replaced.

Have you tried any manufacturer's websites? In addition to information online, they typically offer engineering services and/or technical support.

I deal with a few bearing manufacturers and I agree with pantaz, you should try specific manufacturer web sites and for bearings that large you should definitely talk to an applications engineer at the company. They can lead you through the entire process of selecting bearings, oil lubrication systems, mounting and bearing maintenance, etc... Of the bearing manufacturers I would highly recommend SKF.
http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home

I would recommend starting your research by looking into industry standards and specifications for roller bearings. Organizations such as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) have established standards for roller bearings that include information on size, load capacity, and friction coefficient.

Additionally, many bearing manufacturers have websites that provide detailed information on their products, including load ratings and friction coefficients. Some manufacturers also offer custom bearing solutions for specific applications, so it may be worth reaching out to them directly for more information on large load and low friction roller bearings.

In terms of specific applications, roller bearings are commonly used in heavy-duty machinery such as cranes, shipping containers, and elevators. They are also used in pulley systems to support large loads. However, the exact specifications and types of bearings used will vary depending on the specific application and requirements.

In your search for a roller bearing with a large load capacity and low friction coefficient, it may be helpful to consult with engineers or experts in the field who have experience with similar applications. They may be able to provide insights on specific bearing types and manufacturers that would be suitable for your needs.

Overall, it is important to thoroughly research and consider all factors, including load capacity, size, and friction coefficient, when selecting a roller bearing for a specific application. By consulting industry standards, manufacturer websites, and experts in the field, you can gather the necessary information to make an informed decision.

Related to Roller Bearing Specs: Load Capacity, Size, Friction Coefficient

1. What is the load capacity of a roller bearing?

The load capacity of a roller bearing depends on various factors such as the type of bearing, its size, and the materials used. Generally, roller bearings have a higher load capacity compared to ball bearings due to their larger contact surface area.

2. How do I determine the size of a roller bearing?

The size of a roller bearing is determined by its inner and outer diameter, as well as its width. These measurements are usually provided in millimeters and can be found in the bearing's specifications. It is important to select the correct size bearing for your application to ensure proper functioning and longevity.

3. What is the friction coefficient of a roller bearing?

The friction coefficient of a roller bearing is a measure of the resistance to motion between the rolling elements and the bearing surfaces. It is affected by various factors such as lubrication, material properties, and surface finish. Generally, roller bearings have a lower friction coefficient compared to other types of bearings, resulting in smoother operation and less energy consumption.

4. Can roller bearings handle both radial and axial loads?

Yes, roller bearings are designed to handle both radial and axial loads. The load capacity of a roller bearing is divided into two categories: radial load capacity, which is the maximum load that can be applied perpendicular to the bearing axis, and axial load capacity, which is the maximum load that can be applied parallel to the bearing axis.

5. How do I choose the right roller bearing for my application?

Choosing the right roller bearing for your application depends on various factors such as the load requirements, speed, and operating conditions. It is important to consult with a bearing expert or refer to the bearing manufacturer's specifications to select the most suitable bearing for your specific needs.