Role of Pipe Length in Poiseuille's Law

In summary, the length of a pipe (L) increases the change in driving pressure with respect to the law Delta P = (8*mu*L*Q)/(pi*(r^4)), even with an incompressible fluid, due to the increased drag on the fluid from the pipe walls. This is because the pressure drop from one end of the pipe to the other does not remain constant when the length is increased. This is due to the balance between the pressure difference and the drag forces from the pipe walls, which must be equal for a steady flow rate.
Willis92
I can't figure out why the length the a pipe (L) increases the change in driving pressure with respect to this law:

Delta P = (8*mu*L*Q)/(pi*(r^4))

I would think that delta P wouldn't change because the fluid is incompressible.

Does anyone have a conceptual explanation for the simple fact I can't seem to find?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Willis92 said:
I can't figure out why the length the a pipe (L) increases the change in driving pressure with respect to this law:

Delta P = (8*mu*L*Q)/(pi*(r^4))

I would think that delta P wouldn't change because the fluid is incompressible.

Does anyone have a conceptual explanation for the simple fact I can't seem to find?

Thanks in advance.
If you want to hold the volumetric throughput rate Q constant while you increase the length of the pipe, you have to increase the pressure drop. Why do you think that the pressure drop from one end of the pipe to the other end of the pipe wouldn't change if the fluid is incompressible? The incompressibility of the fluid means that its density doesn't change when you change the pressure. That doesn't have any bearing on the pressure drop/flow rate behavior of the fluid.

Chet

The longer the pipe the more drag on the fluid from the pipe wall.

Ok, so it's just the drag from the pipe wall then? That makes sense.

I got hung up thinking about if you have a certain force pushing an amount of fluid through at a time, the same comes out at the other end, regardless of how far away that end is.

But it makes sense if drag is the only thing preventing that.

Yes; when the fluid is flowing at a steady rate, the difference in pressures at either end of the pipe times the cross-sectional area must balance the drag forces from the pipe walls.

Related to Role of Pipe Length in Poiseuille's Law

1. What is Poiseuille's Law?

Poiseuille's Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe and the various factors that affect that flow rate, such as pipe diameter, fluid viscosity, and pipe length.

2. How does pipe length affect the flow rate according to Poiseuille's Law?

According to Poiseuille's Law, the longer the pipe, the lower the flow rate will be. This is because as the length of the pipe increases, there is more resistance for the fluid to flow through, resulting in a decrease in flow rate.

3. Is pipe length the only factor that affects flow rate in Poiseuille's Law?

No, pipe length is only one of the factors that affect flow rate in Poiseuille's Law. Other factors include pipe diameter, fluid viscosity, and the pressure gradient along the length of the pipe.

4. How does fluid viscosity affect the role of pipe length in Poiseuille's Law?

Fluid viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. In Poiseuille's Law, as fluid viscosity increases, the effect of pipe length on flow rate becomes more significant. This means that for highly viscous fluids, even small changes in pipe length can greatly impact the flow rate.

5. Can the role of pipe length in Poiseuille's Law be applied to all types of fluids?

Yes, Poiseuille's Law can be applied to all types of fluids, including liquids and gases. However, the equation may need to be modified for non-Newtonian fluids, which do not follow the same relationship between shear stress and strain rate as Newtonian fluids.