Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre

In summary, Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre is a mathematical formula that expresses the Laguerre polynomials in terms of derivatives. It is used in various fields of mathematics, including differential equations, numerical analysis, and probability theory. The formula is derived using the Taylor series expansion of the exponential function and is significant for its efficiency in calculating Laguerre polynomials and its usefulness in deriving properties and identities. It can also be extended to multiple dimensions, making it a valuable tool in multivariate statistics and image processing.
jije1112

Homework Statement

I need to proof that Rodrigues’ formula satisfies Laguerre differential equation

Homework Equations

Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre
eq0022S.gif

Laguerre differential equation
eq0046S.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

first,I have to calculate
gif.gif

gif.gif

gif.gif

=
gif.gif
I tried to sum both terms and this is what I got
gif.gif
gif.gif

after that I did not know what to do (what this differentiation should be)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jije:

I would suggest proof by induction.

First prove for n = 0. Then show that if true for n, it is also true for n+1.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Related to Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre

1. What is Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre?

Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre is a mathematical formula that expresses the Laguerre polynomials in terms of derivatives. It is named after the French mathematician Olinde Rodrigues who first derived it in the 1830s.

2. What are Laguerre polynomials used for?

Laguerre polynomials are used in various fields of mathematics, including differential equations, numerical analysis, and probability theory. They are also used in physics to describe wave functions in quantum mechanics and in engineering for signal processing and system identification.

3. How is Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre derived?

Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre is derived using the Taylor series expansion of the exponential function. By substituting this expansion into the definition of Laguerre polynomials, the formula can be obtained by equating coefficients of the same powers of the variable.

4. What is the significance of Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre?

Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre is significant because it provides a compact and efficient way of calculating Laguerre polynomials. It also allows for the derivation of various properties and identities of the polynomials, making it a valuable tool in mathematical analysis and problem solving.

5. Can Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Rodrigues’ formula of Laguerre can be extended to higher dimensions by considering the Laguerre polynomials as a special case of the general class of orthogonal polynomials known as the Askey scheme. This allows for the generalization of the formula to multiple variables and can be useful in various applications, such as in multivariate statistics and image processing.