Rod in rotational motion. Not sure how to account for potential energy.

In summary, a uniform rod of mass 4.5 kg and length 10m is pivoted about a frictionless pin at a distance of 10m from its center of mass. The rod is initially at an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal and is released from rest at the same angle. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 and the moment of inertia of the rod about its center of mass is (1/12)m*l^2. The angular speed of the rod when it is in a horizontal position can be found using energy conservation and converting the potential energy of the center of mass to angular velocity.
shanest
I've also attached the picture of this problem at the end of the post.

A uniform rod of mass 4:5 kg is 10mlong. The
rod is pivoted about a horizontal, frictionless
pin at the end of a thin extension (of negligible
mass) a distance 10 m from the center of
mass of the rod. Initially the rod makes an
angle of 60± with the horizontal. The rod is
released from rest at an angle of 60± with the
horizontal, as shown in the ¯gure below
The acceleration of gravity is 9:8 m=s2 :
Hint: The moment of inertia of the rod
about its center-of-mass is Icm = (1/12)m*l^2

What is the angular speed of the rod at
the instant the rod is in a horizontal position?
Answer in units of rad=s.

I tried doing mgh = 1/2 I * omega^2, but it doesn't feel right at all. Especially since I was unsure of whether I could use the height of the center of mass of the rod for the h in mgh. Can I? There's got to be a better way to solve this problem...

Attachments

• hw19.JPG
    hw19.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 986
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you could do it with angular kinematic formulas, but I think energy would work just fine here. Energy would definitely be the way I would try it.

Edit: find the potential of the COM at rest, then convert that into angular velocity when it's horizontal?

Last edited:
Yes you need to use the height difference in the 2 positions for the CM. What is the height of CM above the horizontal? And what is the the rods moment of inertia about the point O? Once you know these two, the problem should be easily solved using energy conservation, as the way you tried, which is correct.

Related to Rod in rotational motion. Not sure how to account for potential energy.

1. What is rotational motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or a fixed point. It is different from linear motion, which involves movement in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object moves in a circular or curved path.

2. How is rotational motion related to potential energy?

In rotational motion, the potential energy of an object is determined by its position in relation to the axis of rotation. The higher the object is located, the greater its potential energy. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the object rotates.

3. How do you calculate the potential energy of a rotating rod?

The potential energy of a rotating rod can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the rod, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the rod from the axis of rotation. This assumes that the rod is in a vertical position.

4. Can potential energy be converted into kinetic energy in rotational motion?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy in rotational motion. As the object rotates, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.

5. How does the length of the rod affect its potential energy in rotational motion?

The longer the rod, the greater its potential energy in rotational motion. This is because a longer rod has a greater distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a higher value for h in the potential energy formula. However, the mass of the rod also plays a role in determining its potential energy.