Rocket Lab @ Angles: Predicting Distance of Launch

In summary, the author is trying to determine how far a rocket will land given the following: the angle, the average velocity, and the time. However, the author is having difficulty getting accurate results because of the height the rocket is shot from and the fact that the rocket will accelerate over a distance greater than 2m.
Hellsing834

Homework Statement

I need to predict how far a rocket will land given:

Delta Y = 2.032 (80 in ) - Height it will be shot from.
Angle - 35 (degrees)
My Average velocity is 23.3 m/s.

I need to repeat this for angles 40-60 [Increments of 5]

Homework Equations

I have these equations that i am using.

Vy = V(average) x sin (theta)
Vx = V(average) x cos (theta)
X = V(average) x cos (theta) * Time
T = (2*V(average))/ g

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first scenario i did the calculations and i am getting 55.3 m, but i know that is not right because we shot the rockets today, and mine did not even go past 40m. I did 3 trials, and each time it was between 20-40 m.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hellsing834 said:

Homework Statement

I need to predict how far a rocket will land given:

Delta Y = 2.032 (80 in ) - Height it will be shot from.
Angle - 35 (degrees)
My Average velocity is 23.3 m/s.

I need to repeat this for angles 40-60 [Increments of 5]

Homework Equations

I have these equations that i am using.

Vy = V(average) x sin (theta)
Vx = V(average) x cos (theta)
X = V(average) x cos (theta) * Time
T = (2*V(average))/ g

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first scenario i did the calculations and i am getting 55.3 m, but i know that is not right because we shot the rockets today, and mine did not even go past 40m. I did 3 trials, and each time it was between 20-40 m.

Maybe the 23m/s is not accurate?

I believe that it is accurate because i compared these results with the same lab we did last year, and the answer is close.

Hellsing834 said:
I believe that it is accurate because i compared these results with the same lab we did last year, and the answer is close.

Perhaps you would do better to use a range equation that was more of the form:

[tex]Range = \frac{V_o^2*Sin2\theta}{g}[/tex]

This of course does not take into account the height you launch it from.

See, even with that equation, my answers comes in the 50's like my original.

Hellsing834 said:
See, even with that equation, my answers comes in the 50's like my original.

Unfortunately it doesn't take into account how long the rocket burns. Since it is a rocket it will accelerate over a distance that may be greater than 2m.

Related to Rocket Lab @ Angles: Predicting Distance of Launch

1. What is Rocket Lab @ Angles?

Rocket Lab @ Angles is a private aerospace company that specializes in small satellite launches. It was founded in 2006 and has successfully launched over 100 satellites into orbit using its Electron rocket.

2. How does Rocket Lab @ Angles predict the distance of a launch?

Rocket Lab @ Angles uses a combination of mathematical models and simulations to predict the distance of a launch. These models take into account factors such as the weight of the payload, the weather conditions, and the performance of the rocket's engines.

3. Why is predicting the distance of a launch important?

Predicting the distance of a launch is important for ensuring the safety and success of the mission. Launching a rocket into space is a complex and expensive process, and accurate predictions help to minimize any potential risks and maximize the chances of a successful launch.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of Rocket Lab @ Angles' distance predictions?

The accuracy of Rocket Lab @ Angles' distance predictions can be affected by a variety of factors, such as changes in weather conditions, errors in the mathematical models, and technical issues with the rocket itself. However, the company continually works to improve its prediction methods and minimize any potential errors.

5. How does Rocket Lab @ Angles ensure the safety of its launches?

Rocket Lab @ Angles takes a number of safety measures to ensure the success of its launches. These include thorough testing and quality control processes, as well as close monitoring of weather conditions and other potential risks. The company also has emergency protocols in place in case of any unforeseen issues during a launch.