Rocket Force - Max Range vs. Time

In summary, the maximum range of an ICBM fired at a city 8000 km away is 8000 km, and the time taken for the missile to reach its halfway point is equal to the time taken for it to reach its target. The missile will be traveling at its maximum speed when it is first detected, and it will strike its target with a velocity dependent on the angle at which it was fired. If a missile with a greater maximum range is fired at an angle of 50 degrees, the warning time at the halfway point will be more than the first scenario.
bphysics
Rocket Force -- Max Range vs. Time

Homework Statement

"Assume an ICBM of maximum range 8000 km is fired at your city from a distance of 8000 km."

1) How much warning time will you have if the missile is first detected at its halfway point
2) How fast will the missile be traveling when it is first detected?
3) With what velocity will it strike its target?
4) Now assume an ICBM of greater maximum range is fired at your city from a distance of 8000 km at an angle of 50 degrees. How much more warning time will you have if the missile is detected at the halway point than the first scanario?

Homework Equations

x = Vx0t
y = Vy0t - (1/2)gt^2

v = v0 + at
v^2 = v(2/0) + 2a(x - x0)
x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep on trying to figure out how to even start off this sucker. I've performed projectile motion problems before, but this "appears" more complex -- in the sense that I have no initial velocity and no initial angle. To me, I am uncertain how to proceed with this problem.

It would appear that I need to utilize the maximum range of 8000 km combined with my knowledge that gravity is taking this missle down at 9.8 m/s^2 to help me calculate for these other values, but I don't seem to grasp how to.

I'll be writing more of this on my whiteboard, and if I discover anything, I'll post it.

For now, I'm just hoping someone can put me on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
bphysics said:

Homework Statement

"Assume an ICBM of maximum range 8000 km is fired at your city from a distance of 8000 km."

1) How much warning time will you have if the missile is first detected at its halfway point
2) How fast will the missile be traveling when it is first detected?
3) With what velocity will it strike its target?
4) Now assume an ICBM of greater maximum range is fired at your city from a distance of 8000 km at an angle of 50 degrees. How much more warning time will you have if the missile is detected at the halway point than the first scanario?

Homework Equations

x = Vx0t
y = Vy0t - (1/2)gt^2

v = v0 + at
v^2 = v(2/0) + 2a(x - x0)
x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep on trying to figure out how to even start off this sucker. I've performed projectile motion problems before, but this "appears" more complex -- in the sense that I have no initial velocity and no initial angle. To me, I am uncertain how to proceed with this problem.

It would appear that I need to utilize the maximum range of 8000 km combined with my knowledge that gravity is taking this missle down at 9.8 m/s^2 to help me calculate for these other values, but I don't seem to grasp how to.

I'll be writing more of this on my whiteboard, and if I discover anything, I'll post it.

For now, I'm just hoping someone can put me on the right track.

Apply the equation for the range of the rocket. From here you will get the initial velocity.

FedEx said:
Apply the equation for the range of the rocket. From here you will get the initial velocity.

FedEx, I don't seem to be able to utilize any of the equations which I have listed at this time due to how I do not have enough information to "complete" the variable requirements enough to solve for a variable.

Can you tell me how you can see this being solved, and more, specifically, via which listed equation you think I have enough evidence for? I may simply be looking at the problem from the wrong angle.

bphysics said:
FedEx, I don't seem to be able to utilize any of the equations which I have listed at this time due to how I do not have enough information to "complete" the variable requirements enough to solve for a variable.

Can you tell me how you can see this being solved, and more, specifically, via which listed equation you think I have enough evidence for? I may simply be looking at the problem from the wrong angle.

Try to derive a formula for the range, in terms of v0 and theta. Hint: what is the time to reach the maximum height... if you double that... you get the time it hits the range.

learningphysics said:
Try to derive a formula for the range, in terms of v0 and theta. Hint: what is the time to reach the maximum height... if you double that... you get the time it hits the range.

Understood - however, your discusing time here.

I have no time data.. unless I am just very confused right now.

bphysics said:

I thought that as you have solved a few projectile problems you would be knowing the equations of projectile motion.

No matter. keep the following in mind.

1) The horizontal range of the projectile is max when angle is 45

2) The horizontal range is given by R = [tex]\frac{v^2\sin2\theta}{g}[/tex]

3) The time taken by the projectile to reach the max height is equal to the time taken by it to come to the ground from the max height.

4) The max height is given by [tex]H_{max}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{v^2sin^2\theta}{g}[/tex]

5)The total time is given by T = [tex]\frac{2vsin\theta}{g}[/tex]

Here v is the initial velocity.

Related to Rocket Force - Max Range vs. Time

1. What is the purpose of studying rocket force and its maximum range over time?

The purpose of studying rocket force and its maximum range over time is to understand the factors that affect the trajectory and flight path of rockets. This information is crucial in designing and launching rockets for various purposes such as space exploration, satellite launches, and missile defense systems.

2. How is the maximum range of a rocket affected by time?

The maximum range of a rocket is affected by time due to the changing forces acting on the rocket as it travels through the atmosphere. As the rocket moves through the air, it experiences drag, which slows it down and decreases its maximum range over time.

3. What are the key factors that determine the maximum range of a rocket?

The key factors that determine the maximum range of a rocket include its initial velocity, the amount of fuel it carries, the design of its engine, and external forces such as gravity and air resistance. These factors work together to determine the trajectory and maximum range of a rocket over time.

4. How is the concept of terminal velocity related to rocket force and maximum range?

Terminal velocity refers to the maximum speed at which an object can fall through the air due to the forces of gravity and air resistance. Similarly, the maximum range of a rocket is limited by its terminal velocity, as the rocket will eventually reach a point where the drag force is equal to the thrust force, and it can no longer accelerate.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding rocket force and maximum range over time?

The understanding of rocket force and maximum range over time has several practical applications, including the design and optimization of rocket engines, predicting the trajectory and range of missiles, and ensuring the safe and efficient launch of satellites and spacecraft for space exploration and communication purposes.