Robot (controlling motors with computers)

In summary, the individual is looking to make a small robotic arm and control program similar to those used in schools for teaching purposes. They have limited knowledge in C++ and are seeking guidance on creating a computer program to control a stepping motor and choosing control chips. They are interested in a comprehensive approach to learning about robot making and are considering resources such as robotics courses and Mindstorm's Lego Bot materials. At a previous company, they have experimented with lego bots and achieved success in creating a fast and agile bot using light sensors and motor control inputs. Photos of their previous project are included for reference.
GiTS
I want to make a small robotic arm and control program like the kind schools use to teach kids about robot arms. I need alittle guidance though, I only know how to use C++ to say "hello world!". How would one go about making a computer program to control a stepping motor? And how do I choose control chips etc? I guess what a really need is a from-the-ground-up way to learn robot making.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try getting the material for a robotics course, and self teach. If your trying to assemble it from scratch you will need to do reasearch into material mechanics, dynamics, and control theory. I'd think the language to control robotics would closer to assembly , or NC code.

How about Mindstorm's Lego Bot stuff?

lego mindstorms rcx

http://mindstorms.lego.com

At my previous company, we messed with the lego bots. The goal was to get a RCX to follow a course using it's light sensor and motor control inputs to follow the edge of a medium dark tape and stop or u-turn on a very dark tape (I used velcro for the very dark tape). By standing the RCX on end, yaw mometum was greatly reduced, allowing for the fastest bot in the group, about 40 cm/sec on the straights of the larger track, yet able to follow some tight turns (given wide enough tape), and uturn (1 dark stripe) or stop (2 dark stripes) very quickly. "Grey" tape was used to create a wider "edge" to follow on the long straights, which let the motors run full speed with reduced corrections. The smaller wheels are in the "back". Some pics:

lego01.jpg
lego02.jpg
lego03.jpg

Last edited:

Related to Robot (controlling motors with computers)

1. What is a robot?

A robot is a mechanical device that is designed and programmed to perform a variety of tasks automatically or with minimal human intervention. Robots can be controlled by computers and have the ability to interact with their environment.

2. How do computers control motors in robots?

Computers control motors in robots through the use of programming and software. The computer sends signals to the motors, which then move and perform the desired action. These signals can be sent through wired connections or wireless communication.

3. What types of motors are commonly used in robots?

The most commonly used types of motors in robots are servo motors, stepper motors, and DC motors. Servo motors are used for precise movements, stepper motors for accurate positioning, and DC motors for continuous rotation.

4. Can robots be programmed to learn and adapt?

Yes, robots can be programmed to learn and adapt through the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning algorithms. These technologies allow robots to analyze and interpret data from their environment and adjust their actions accordingly.

5. What are some applications of robots controlled by computers?

There are many applications for robots controlled by computers, including manufacturing, healthcare, transportation, and exploration. They can also be used in household tasks, such as cleaning and cooking, and in entertainment, such as in the film and gaming industries.