RMS speeds of helium and argon atoms

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding how to calculate the root-mean-square speeds of helium and argon molecules in a gas at 1000 degrees C. They ask for help and receive a formula for calculating the speeds using the Boltzmann constant, absolute temperature, and molecular mass. The student thanks the expert and comments on their intelligence, to which the expert responds by encouraging the student to also use online resources for further help.
twiztdlogik
i am having a bit of trouble with this question, and its not explained very clearly in our textbook...

"what are the RMS speeds of helium an dargon in a gas at 1000 degrees C"

any help would be greatly appreciated. physics is definitely not one of my strengths...

=D

cheers.
KC

Physics news on Phys.org
You will want to use the formula for the root-mean-square speed of molecules in an ideal gas

[tex]v_{rms} = \surd \frac{3kT}{m}[/tex]

where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the absolute temperature in Kelvins (so you will have to convert the 1000º C.), and m is the molecular mass in kg. (you will need the mass of a helium or argon atom in atomic mass units and the value for 1 amu in kilograms).

oh thanks a bunch! ur a genius

:biggrin:

twiztdlogik said:
oh thanks a bunch! ur a genius

I am going to reply that you can be as big a "genius" as I was to answer this. As they like to say around various forums, Google is your friend. I searched on "molecular speeds" and "RMS" to make sure I gave you the right formula; there are three averages given for speeds in velocity distributions of molecules in an ideal gas, all with similar expressions and differing only in the numerical constant... (The 'Net is an excellent reference source for physics material, if you don't mind having to pick through search results.)

Likes Habib Idrees

Related to RMS speeds of helium and argon atoms

1. What is an RMS speed?

An RMS (root-mean-square) speed is a type of average speed that takes into account the contributions of all particles in a gas. It is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared speeds of all particles in the gas.

2. How is the RMS speed of helium and argon atoms related to temperature?

The RMS speed of gas particles, including helium and argon atoms, is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. This means that as the temperature increases, the RMS speed of the particles will also increase.

3. How do the RMS speeds of helium and argon atoms compare to each other?

The RMS speed of helium atoms is higher than the RMS speed of argon atoms at the same temperature. This is because helium atoms are lighter than argon atoms, so they have a higher average speed.

4. Why is the RMS speed of helium and argon atoms important to know?

The RMS speed of gas particles is important because it helps us understand the behavior of gases and how they interact with their surroundings. It is also used in various scientific calculations, such as in the ideal gas law.

5. How does the RMS speed of helium and argon atoms change with changes in pressure?

The RMS speed of gas particles is inversely proportional to the square root of the pressure. This means that as the pressure increases, the RMS speed decreases, and vice versa. So, if the pressure on a gas is increased, the RMS speed of helium and argon atoms will decrease.