RLC Circuit Differential Equation problem

In summary, Kirchoff's voltage law states that the voltage across an electrical circuit is the sum of voltages across the individual components. The equation for a RLC circuit with RC = 1/2 and LC = 1/16 is Vo(t) = RC(Vi(t))' + Vo(t) + LC(Vi(t)).
MathsDude69

Homework Statement

For a RLC circuit with RC = 1/2 and LC = 1/16 determine the differential equation that describes the relationship between the input and output voltages. An image of the circuit is shown with RLC all in series with the input voltage Vi(t) across all 3 components. The voltage drop across the capacitor is labelled Vo(t)

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's Voltage Law

The Attempt at a Solution

From Kirchoff's voltage law:

Vi(t) = Vr(t) + Vc(t) + Vl(t)

Vr(t) = Rir(t) = RC(Vc(t))' = RC(Vo(t))' Using the prime to indicate differentiation

The voltage drop across the resistor can now be descirbed as above henceforth we now have:

Vi(t) = RC(Vo(t))' + Vc(t) + Vl(t)

Given that Vc(t) = Vo(t) we can also write:

Vi(t) = RC(Vo(t))' + Vo(t) + Vl(t)

The voltage drop across the inductor can be expressed as:

Vl(t) = L(il(t))' and as ir = ic = il Vl(t) = LC(Vo(t))'

Henceforth the differential equation is:

Vi(t) = RC(Vo(t))' + Vo(t) + LC(Vo(t))'Is this solution correct or have I flamingo'd up somewhere?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you upload the image of the circuit?

Sure. Here you go.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 989
I hate these questions. Have you considered that V = L(di/dt) and i = C(dv/dt)?

MathsDude69 said:
The voltage drop across the inductor can be expressed as:

Vl(t) = L(il(t))' and as ir = ic = il Vl(t) = LC(Vo(t))
You made a mistake here when you substituted for il.
Henceforth the differential equation is:

Vi(t) = RC(Vo(t))' + Vo(t) + LC(Vo(t))'
This isn't correct either. You will get a second-order equation for an RLC circuit.

Im guessing then that it should be along the lines of:

L*d2i/dt2 + R*di/dt + 1\C*i

what is confusing is that all the information I have pertains to RL/RC circuits which are first order systems.

Is it even possible to rearrange a second order system such as this to obtain a second order differential equation using only the relationship between voltage and time?

The whole purpose of this exercize is to find the laplace transform and then the laplace frequency response H(s). :-s

You almost had it with your original attempt. Just go back and do the math a little more carefully.

How did you go from VL(t)=L(iL(t))', which is correct, to VL(t)=LC(Vo(t)), which is incorrect?

Last edited:
vela said:
You almost had it with your original attempt. Just go back and do the math a little more carefully.

How did you go from VL(t)=L(iL(t)), which is correct, to VL(t)=LC(Vo(t)), which is incorrect?

I assumed that in a series connection that the current was equal between all parts, thus the magnitude of the current given by the voltage drop across the capacitor would also indicate the level of current in the inductor. But then again you know what they say about assumption :-p

The only other example I have is an LR circuit which stipulates that:

iL(t) = iL(0-) + 1/L * integral between 0- and t of VL(tau)d(tau) .. (sorry I am not too sure how to do the mathematical signs)

Should I sustitue this into the original equation??

MathsDude69 said:
I assumed that in a series connection that the current was equal between all parts
This is right. It's a consequence of Kirchoff's current law.
thus the magnitude of the current given by the voltage drop across the capacitor would also indicate the level of current in the inductor.
What you mean by this part isn't so clear to me. Could you provide an equation for what you mean?

Sure. I figured ic(t) = C*(VC(t))'

In my case VC(t) and VO(t) are the same quantity.

OK, so VL(t)=L(iL(t))'=L(iC(t))'=...?

vela said:
OK, so VL(t)=L(iL(t))'=L(iC(t))'=...?

...erm... L(C*(Vc(t))'') ??

Right, so you end up with

Vi = LC V''o + RC V'o + Vo

which is the second-order differential equation you want.

Awsome. Thanks alot!

Related to RLC Circuit Differential Equation problem

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and can be used to create a variety of circuits with different functions.

2. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivative. In the context of an RLC circuit, the differential equation describes the behavior of the circuit over time.

3. How do you solve an RLC circuit differential equation problem?

To solve an RLC circuit differential equation problem, you can use a variety of methods such as Laplace transforms, series and parallel circuit analysis, or numerical methods. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the circuit and the desired solution.

4. What factors affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

The behavior of an RLC circuit is affected by factors such as the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, the initial conditions of the circuit, and the type of input signal. These factors can impact the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the circuit's response.

5. Why are RLC circuits important in science?

RLC circuits are important in science because they can be used to model and analyze a wide variety of real-world systems. They are commonly used in electronic devices, power systems, and communication systems, making them essential for understanding and designing modern technology.