RL Circuit - Problem finding Unknown Inductor

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the values of I, Z, VL, XL, and L for a given circuit. The provided values for I and Z are 5 mA and 40 kΩ, respectively. The formula for XL is mentioned as 2 x pi x f x L, but the conversation becomes stuck when trying to find the values of VL, XL, and L. The suggestion is made to use the equation |Z| = \sqrt{R^2 + (\omega L)^2}, but the use of omega (ω) is questioned. It is then clarified that ω = 2πf, which helps to solve the problem.
Brad1983
Here is the circuit:
http://img840.imageshack.us/f/60205514.png/

I need to find:
I
Z
VL - Voltage on Inductor
XL
L

I have I and Z but I can not figure out VL, XL, and L. This is what I have for I and Z:
-----------------------------------------------
a.)
I= V_R / R = 170 V / 34 kΩ = 5 mA
b.)
Z = V_s/I = 200 V / 5 mA = 40 kΩ
------------------------------------------------

I know XL = 2 x pi x f x L

This is where I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Z in b.) is the magnitude of the impedance (impedance is a complex quantity). So write:

[tex] |Z| = \sqrt{R^2 + (\omega L)^2} [/tex]

Does that help?

gneill said:
Your Z in b.) is the magnitude of the impedance (impedance is a complex quantity). So write:

[tex] |Z| = \sqrt{R^2 + (\omega L)^2} [/tex]

Does that help?

not sure because we do not use OMEGA.

ω = 2πf

gneill said:
ω = 2πf

oh I did not know that. We do use 2*pi*f. Thanks gneill

Related to RL Circuit - Problem finding Unknown Inductor

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series. The circuit is powered by a direct current (DC) source and can also be referred to as a DCRL circuit.

2. How does an RL circuit work?

When a DC current is applied to an RL circuit, the inductor produces a magnetic field which resists the flow of current. This causes the current to gradually increase until it reaches a steady state. Once the DC source is removed, the magnetic field collapses, inducing a voltage across the inductor and causing the current to decrease over time.

3. What is the purpose of finding the unknown inductor in an RL circuit?

Finding the unknown inductor in an RL circuit allows us to determine the characteristics and behavior of the circuit, such as the current and voltage across the components. This information is useful in designing and analyzing circuits for various applications.

4. How can we find the unknown inductor in an RL circuit?

To find the unknown inductor in an RL circuit, we can use Ohm's law and the equation for inductive reactance (XL = 2πfL) to calculate the value of the inductor. We can also use a multimeter or LCR meter to directly measure the inductance of the component.

5. What are some common problems encountered when finding the unknown inductor in an RL circuit?

Some common problems encountered when finding the unknown inductor in an RL circuit include incorrect connections, measurement errors, and variations in the inductor's value due to temperature or aging. It is important to carefully follow circuit diagrams and use accurate measuring tools to ensure accurate results.