Rise in temperature after a collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a head-on collision between a body of mass m and a body of mass 2m at rest, with a coefficient of restitution of 1/3. It is assumed that the two bodies share the heat generated equally and that no heat is lost. The summary then goes on to outline the equations used to calculate the change in temperature of the 2m body, including the momentum equation, coefficient of restitution equation, and heat equation. The conversation also mentions a discrepancy in the final answer, with the summary stating that the fraction should be 2/27 instead of 2/9.
runningninja

Homework Statement

"A body of mass m, moving with velocity v, collides with a body of mass 2m at rest, in a head-on collision. The coefficient of restitution is 1/3. If the 2m body has a specific heat c, and if it is assumed that the two bodies share the heat generated in the collision equally (not a very reasonable assumption), and that no heat is lost (a ridiculous assumption), how much does the temperature of the 2m body rise? (Keep fractions throughout in solution.)"

Homework Equations

$$\text{Coefficient of restitution}\ =~e~= \frac{v_{2F} - v_{1F}}{v_{1I} - v_{2I}}$$
$$p_I = p_F$$
$$\Delta K_2 = Q_2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it is head on, this is a one dimensional problem, with ##v_{2I} = 0## and ##v_{1I} = v##. I started off by resolving my momentum equation into
$$mv = -mv_{1F} + 2mv_{2F}$$
(1) ##v_{1F} = 2v_{2f} - v##
I then set my restitution equation equal to 1/3 and substituted (1) in.
[tex] \frac{1}{3}\ = \frac{v_{2f} - 2v_{2f} + v}{v} [/tex]

Which simplifies to

(2) $$ v_{2F} = \frac{2v}{3} $$

I then expand my Q equation to

(3) $$ \frac{1}{2}\ 2 m (v_{2f})^2 = 2 m c \Delta T $$

I then plug (2) into (3) and solve for ## \Delta T ## :

$$ \Delta T\ = \frac{2v^2}{9c} $$

However, the answer has a fraction of 2/27 rather than 2/9. I'm off by a factor of a third, and I don't know why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
runningninja said:
I started off by resolving my momentum equation into
$$mv = -mv_{1F} + 2mv_{2F}$$

Why the minus sign?

voko said:
Why the minus sign?

Because it is a one dimensional collision. The first object has to bounce backwards because there is no other place for it to go. Even if I omit the minus sign, I get 8/81 for the fraction.

runningninja said:
Because it is a one dimensional collision. The first object has to bounce backwards because there is no other place for it to go.

It does not have to go backward. It can continue forward at a reduced speed. You do not have to guess what is going to happen. Use the equations.

Even if I omit the minus sign, I get 8/81 for the fraction.

Then you must have made another error somewhere. Show your new derivation.

Your approach is correct, but there is a mistake in your substitution in equation (2). It should be:

$$v_{2F} = \frac{2v}{3} + v$$

This is because in equation (1), the final velocity of the 2m body is equal to its initial velocity plus the final velocity of the m body. Therefore, the correct equation for ΔT is:

$$\Delta T = \frac{2v^2}{9c+6c} = \frac{2v^2}{15c} = \frac{2}{15}\left(\frac{v^2}{c}\right)$$

This gives the correct answer of 2/27.

Related to Rise in temperature after a collision

1. Why does the temperature rise after a collision?

The increase in temperature after a collision is due to the conversion of kinetic energy into thermal energy. When objects collide, the force of impact causes their molecules to vibrate and generate heat, resulting in an increase in temperature.

2. How does the mass and velocity of the objects involved in a collision affect the temperature rise?

The temperature rise after a collision is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the objects involved. Objects with larger masses and higher velocities will generate more kinetic energy upon impact, leading to a greater increase in temperature.

3. Is there a limit to how much the temperature can rise after a collision?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the temperature can rise after a collision. This limit is determined by the materials and properties of the objects involved in the collision. Once all of the kinetic energy has been converted into thermal energy, the temperature will stabilize.

4. Can the rise in temperature after a collision cause damage to the objects involved?

Yes, the rise in temperature after a collision can cause damage to the objects involved. If the temperature rises high enough, it can cause the objects to deform, melt, or even ignite if they are flammable. This is why it is important to consider the materials and properties of objects before they collide.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the rise in temperature after a collision?

Yes, the rise in temperature after a collision has many real-life applications. For example, it is utilized in the creation of car airbags, where the rapid increase in temperature upon impact causes the gas inside the airbag to expand and cushion the passengers. It is also used in industrial processes, such as welding and metal forging, where high temperatures are required to join or shape materials.