RIP the "Greatest Show on Earth"

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Rip
In summary, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, known as the 'Greatest Show on Earth', is closing after 146 years of operation. The last performance will take place on May 21 at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island, NY. The circus has faced declining attendance and criticism for its use of animals in performances. This decision is seen as a sign of the changing times and the shift towards alternative forms of entertainment. Despite efforts to reinvent themselves, the circus could not compete with the rise of the internet and the current political climate.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus to End Its 146-Year Run (NY Times)

Ringling Bros. closing ‘Greatest Show on Earth’ after 146 years (NY Post)

The last performance will be at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island NY, on May 21.

Many years ago (20 or so?) I saw their train passing through Lake Worth, Florida, on its way to or from Miami, but I've never seen the show itself. They'll be in one of my nearby "big cities" in early February. Maybe I'll take advantage of this last opportunity.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I saw a headline about this last night. I guess it's a sign of the times. It seems circuses are going the way of vaudeville and variety shows on TV, and it would appear that folks are finding entertainment elsewhere, e.g., the internet.

To be fair the circus has done a lot in the past 20 or so years to reinvent themselves, but for me any animal use in that context is abuse and I am glad to see them out of business.

As Steven Colbert puts it, they just couldn't compete with the new circus team from the white house.

Related to RIP the "Greatest Show on Earth"

1. What was "RIP the Greatest Show on Earth" about?

"RIP the Greatest Show on Earth" was a documentary that explored the history and cultural impact of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, also known as "The Greatest Show on Earth." It delved into the behind-the-scenes world of the circus and the controversy surrounding its closure in 2017.

2. Why did the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus close?

The circus closed due to declining ticket sales and high operating costs. Animal rights activists and changing attitudes towards the use of animals in entertainment also contributed to its closure.

3. When did the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus first open?

The circus was founded in 1871 by P.T. Barnum and James Bailey. It merged with the Ringling Brothers Circus in 1919 and became known as the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

4. What impact did the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus have on popular culture?

The circus had a significant impact on popular culture, with its iconic performers, such as acrobats, clowns, and animal acts, inspiring movies, books, and even fashion. It also played a role in shaping American entertainment and creating a sense of wonder and awe for audiences.

5. Are there any plans to revive the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus?

As of now, there are no plans to revive the circus. However, there have been talks of possibly bringing back a smaller, animal-free version of the show in the future.