• Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Dennett

Daniel Clement Dennett III (March 28, 1942 – April 19, 2024) was an American philosopher, writer, and cognitive scientist whose research centered on the philosophy of mind, philosophy of science, and philosophy of biology, particularly as those fields relate to evolutionary biology and cognitive science.

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes PeterDonis, DAH, pinball1970 and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, he was my favorite philosopher. In fact, before I discovered him I thought philosophy was this weird thing where you asked silly questions like what the essence of existence is, what is the meaning of life or this Aristoteles stuff which was all a bit far-fetched to me. Nice to think about but otherwise useless. Dennett was the first to make me see the use of philosophy and how it actually can connect with science and add to it.

The lucid and exact way that Dennett could explain things was so inspiring to me. Sad to see him go 😢.

Likes WernerQH and pinball1970
I have been a fan of Dennett ever since I read The Mind's I in the early 1980s (which I read because I had like Godel, Escher, Bach and wanted to read more Hofstadter), and then Brainstorms. I have since read every book he has published on consciousness and free will. He will be sorely missed.

Likes Arjan82, gmax137 and BillTre
Very missed, very insightful in relation to consciousness, philosophy and the role of science. However, I was not a fan of his take on free will.