Rime Ice Time: Perfect Picture in Freezing Fog

In summary, the photographer is suggesting that there are several different types of pictures that are suitable for the contest, but they are undecided which one to choose.
Andre
So we need a new picture and the weather is freezing fog. Hence rime ice time. The bigger waters are still open, the fog is more intense there, the place to go for new rime ice pictures.

fxrol1.jpg

9a4ccn.jpg

2vkx552.jpg

100% crop

1yqr1t.jpg

hwcny8.jpg

100% crop

2aes9ba.jpg

x5t4k7.jpg

Now, which one to enter in the contest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Either first or second if you ask me.

Incidentally, I took this picture on the last day of 2008:

frozen_grass.jpg

Any similarities purely accidental.

Lovely ice pix, as always. Last week I drove some food up to my father's place on a sub-zero day. The Kennebec river was positively steaming in the cold, and all the trees and shrubs were heavily coated. Stupid me, I hadn't brought cameras. I had to make another food run in the opposite direction that same day, and was in a rush, loading containers of soups, loaves of bread, etc, and totally forgot the Pelican case that I had pre-positioned near the front door. Duh!

Did the same thing today (forgot camera case) but the day was overcast, the river was unspectacular and the mill-pond in my friend's town was populated only with mallards. I can't leave the cameras locked in the vehicle due to the cold temps, so I've got to get back in the habit of making purposeful photo-treks. I used to lug at least 3 OM-1s and an OM-4 all loaded with Zuicko primes and loaded with various films, so this DSLR kit isn't that bulky.

Nice shots Andre. I can see why you are having trouble deciding.

Thanks Larkspur, well it's too late now. Mattyaouw was very quick closing it.

Yes, he sometimes closes the contest ealier and sometimes later. Seems like to be safe we have to enter pictures before or on Friday night, as Saturday morning can be too late.

I like the first, third and last best.

Related to Rime Ice Time: Perfect Picture in Freezing Fog

1. What is rime ice?

Rime ice is a type of ice that forms on objects, such as trees or buildings, during freezing fog. It is created when supercooled water droplets freeze on contact with a surface.

2. Why is rime ice often seen in freezing fog?

Rime ice forms in freezing fog because the air temperature is below freezing, causing water droplets to freeze on contact with surfaces. The fog also provides a source of moisture for the droplets to form on.

3. How is rime ice different from other types of ice?

Rime ice differs from other types of ice, such as glaze ice or frost, in that it forms in freezing fog and has a rough, opaque appearance. It also tends to form on the windward side of objects, while glaze ice forms on the leeward side.

4. Is rime ice dangerous?

Rime ice can be dangerous if it accumulates on structures, such as power lines, as it can add weight and potentially cause them to collapse. It can also make surfaces slippery, so caution should be taken when walking or driving in areas with rime ice.

5. Can rime ice be prevented or removed?

Rime ice cannot be prevented, as it is a natural phenomenon that occurs in freezing fog. It can be removed by using de-icing methods, such as salt or heat, but caution should be taken to avoid damaging the surface underneath the ice.