Right Hand Rule - Positive or Negative Action

In summary, if you are trying to find the sum of the moments around a point, you can use the right-hand rule or the i j k method.
tornzaer

Homework Statement

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/photolu.jpg/

Homework Equations

Right Hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find the moments at B. I know I have to use the right hand rule to figure out which force has a positive and which force has a negative action. However, I'm not too certain on how to do this. I know how to position my right hand, but I don't know whether to use the "up thumb" or "down thumb" for a specific point.

Please Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tornzaer! :smile:

I find the easiest way to remember the right-hand rule is that if you draw an x,y graph the usual way, then x cross y is along the usual z-axis, drawn upwards. :wink:

(Alternatively, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_hand_rule)

I always use the "curled fingers" version of the right hand rule. To find x cross y, I curl the fingers of my right hand from x to y--that automatically makes your thumb point in the direction of the z axis. (At least it does once you get the idea.)

Here's a site that illustrates how to use that version of the rule for just about every possible combination of vectors (some of the gifs don't work quite so well--the quicktime movies are better): http://physics.syr.edu/courses/video/RightHandRule/index2.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. What happens if vectors aren't connected like the ones on the diagram I posted. There are vectors in the same direction and different directions, but they are all separate.

Also, on question b on the diagram, it asks to find the sum of moments at B. That's what I'm confused about.

tornzaer said:
What happens if vectors aren't connected like the ones on the diagram I posted. There are vectors in the same direction and different directions, but they are all separate.

Not sure what you mean by "connected like the ones on the diagram" … they don't look connected to me. :confused:

If the two original directions are not perpendicular, just move your middle finger until the middle and index finger fit (if necessary, you can bend the middle finger in the middle!).

The thumb direction always remains perpendicular to the plane of the other two.

Having said that …

I never use the right-hand rule, I always use the i j k method instead. :wink:
Also, on question b on the diagram, it asks to find the sum of moments at B. That's what I'm confused about.

For each force the moment (same thing as torque :wink:) is position x force

so just draw the position vector from B to the point of application of each particular force, and proceed as before. :smile:

(and also remember that, in a 2D situation, each force will be going either clockwise or anti-clockwise round B, so you can just work out the cross-product direction of one of them, and then all the others will be either in the same direction or in the exact opposite direction, according to whether they're also clockwise or anti-clockwise. :wink:)

Related to Right Hand Rule - Positive or Negative Action

1. What is the right hand rule and how is it used?

The right hand rule is a concept in physics used to determine the direction of a force, magnetic field, or current. It is based on the principle that when a current flows through a wire, a magnetic field is created around the wire. The right hand rule is used to determine the direction of this magnetic field by using the right hand to point the thumb in the direction of the current, and the fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

2. What is the positive or negative action in the right hand rule?

The positive or negative action in the right hand rule refers to the direction of the current. If the current is flowing in the same direction as the fingers curl, it is considered a positive action. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, it is considered a negative action.

3. How is the right hand rule applied in electromagnetism?

In electromagnetism, the right hand rule is used to determine the direction of the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire. The thumb represents the direction of the current, the fingers represent the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm represents the direction of the force on a charged particle moving through the field.

4. Can the right hand rule be used for other physical phenomena?

Yes, the right hand rule can be applied to other physical phenomena such as determining the direction of motion of a charged particle when subjected to a magnetic field, or the direction of torque on a current-carrying loop in a magnetic field.

5. How does the right hand rule help in understanding motor and generator operation?

The right hand rule is essential in understanding motor and generator operation. It helps determine the direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field, which is the principle behind the operation of both motors and generators. It also helps determine the direction of the induced current in a wire moving through a magnetic field, as in the case of a generator.