Right Hand Rule Applied to Loops in Magnetic Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of current flow in a wire when it is moved into a magnetic field that points into the page. The right hand rule is used to determine the direction, but there is confusion about which side of the loop to wrap your hand around to represent the magnetic field created by the wire. The correct way is to let your fingers go around the outside of the loop and when they reach the inside, they should point out of the page, representing a counterclockwise current flow. Lenz's law states that the induced current will create a magnetic field out of the page, opposing the change in flux.
yvesers
Hey guys,
I have a simple conceptual question: Let's say I'm moving a loop of wire into a constant magnetic field that points into the page. The wire needs to create a magnetic field out of the page to oppose this previous change in flux. The typical question would be which direction does the current flow? I know about the right hand rule where you wrap your hand around the wire and let thumb point in the direction of the current. But the magnetic field created by a wire is such that it wraps around the wire, so I am not sure from which side i have to wrap my hands around the loop to represent the field created?

An example of an answer to clarify my question (just guessing btw): the direction of the magnetic field created to oppose the change in flux is represented by the direction your fingers point on the INSIDE of the loop.

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your example of an answer is actually the correct way to look at it. The ambient field points into the page, so according to Lenz's law, the induced current will create a field out of the page.

If you "grab" the ring, and let your thumb rest along the ring, the tips of your fingers go around the outside ring, but when they reach the inside of the ring, they point out of the page, toward you, so the current is going counterclockwise.

Related to Right Hand Rule Applied to Loops in Magnetic Fields

What is the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is a method used to determine the direction of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire or the direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field.

How is the Right Hand Rule applied to loops in magnetic fields?

To apply the Right Hand Rule to a loop in a magnetic field, point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow in the loop. Then, curl your fingers around the loop in the direction of the magnetic field. Your fingers will then point in the direction of the force on the loop due to the magnetic field.

Why is the Right Hand Rule important in studying electromagnetism?

The Right Hand Rule is important in studying electromagnetism because it allows us to understand the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. It helps us to predict the direction of forces and fields in various situations, making it a valuable tool in many areas of physics and engineering.

Can the Right Hand Rule be used for any type of loop?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule can be used for any type of loop, whether it is a simple circular loop or a more complex loop with multiple turns. As long as the direction of current flow and the direction of the magnetic field are known, the Right Hand Rule can be applied.

Are there any exceptions to the Right Hand Rule?

There are some cases where the Right Hand Rule may not apply, such as when dealing with non-uniform or changing magnetic fields. In these situations, more advanced methods may be needed to determine the direction of the magnetic field or force.