Riemann Zeta Function and Pi in Infinite Series

In summary, the conversation is about two infinite series of the form \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} 1/n^\phi and \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} 1/n^\alpha, where \phi and \alpha are even natural numbers. It is observed that the first series always converges to a rational multiple of \pi, while the second series converges to the Riemann Zeta function evaluated at \alpha. The relationship between these two series is explained to be that for even exponents, the first series is a rational multiple of \pi, while for odd exponents, the value is \zeta(\alpha), a mysterious value not well understood.
Kevin_Axion
I was playing around with an infinite series recently and I noticed something peculiar, I was hoping somebody could clarify something for me.

Suppose we have an infinite series of the form:

[itex]\sum^_{n = 1}^{\infty} 1/n^\phi[/itex]

where [itex]\phi[/itex] is some even natural number, it appears that it is always convergent to a rational multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex].

Now if we take this series and change it slightly:

[itex]\sum^_{n = 1}^{\infty} 1/n^\alpha[/itex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is some even natural number, it appears that it is always convergent to the Riemann Zeta Function evaluated at [itex]\alpha[/itex] i.e. [itex]\zeta(\alpha)[/itex].

Can someone explain the relationship expressed in these infinite series?

EDIT: What's wrong with my LaTeX for the infinite series?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't see what the difference between the two series you posted is, except changing phi to alpha. The LaTeX is perhaps not working because you wrote an extra ^ after the \sum, which shouldn't be there.

The reason that the sum "converges" to the Riemann Zeta function is that for integer exponents that series is the definition of the Riemann Zeta function. It is then extended to arbitrary complex exponents by analytic continuation. If you compute [itex]\zeta(2n)[/itex] for n a postive integer, you would find it is a multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex] to some power.

Here's the post with fixed LaTeX...
Maybe there should be something different between the first and two series?

Kevin_Axion said:
I was playing around with an infinite series recently and I noticed something peculiar, I was hoping somebody could clarify something for me.

Suppose we have an infinite series of the form:

[itex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^\phi}[/itex]

where [itex]\phi[/itex] is some even natural number, it appears that it is always convergent to a rational multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex].

Now if we take this series and change it slightly:

[itex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^\alpha}[/itex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is some even natural number, it appears that it is always convergent to the Riemann Zeta Function evaluated at [itex]\alpha[/itex] i.e. [itex]\zeta(\alpha)[/itex].

Can someone explain the relationship expressed in these infinite series?

EDIT: What's wrong with my LaTeX for the infinite series?

Very cool, the only difference I made was that the exponent is even in one and odd in the other.

Kevin_Axion said:
Very cool, the only difference I made was that the exponent is even in one and odd in the other.

Ah, then you probably made a typo :smile:

Anyway, the first series will also converge to [itex]\zeta(\phi)[/itex], and this will have a nice characterization as a rational function of pi.
If alpha is odd, then all we know is that the value is [itex]\zeta(\alpha)[/itex]. These values are very mysterious and not well understood. For example, [itex]\zeta(3)[/itex] is called Apery's constant and shows up in some physics problems.

But you'll see more of this in your future math major! :biggrin:

Haha! Engineering :approve:!

Related to Riemann Zeta Function and Pi in Infinite Series

1. What is the Riemann Zeta Function?

The Riemann Zeta Function is a mathematical function that is defined for all complex numbers except 1. It is expressed as ζ(s) and is used to study the distribution of prime numbers. It is also closely related to the concept of infinite series.

2. How is the Riemann Zeta Function related to Pi?

The Riemann Zeta Function is closely related to the value of Pi. In fact, the Riemann Zeta Function can be used to calculate the value of Pi, as shown in the famous Euler's formula: ζ(2) = π²/6. Additionally, the Riemann Zeta Function is used in various mathematical proofs and formulas involving Pi.

3. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is expressed as a1 + a2 + a3 + ..., where a1, a2, a3, etc. are the individual terms in the series. Infinite series are used in mathematics to represent continuous functions, and are also important in the study of convergence and divergence of series.

4. How is the concept of infinity related to the Riemann Zeta Function and Pi?

The concept of infinity is closely related to the Riemann Zeta Function and Pi because both involve infinite sums. The Riemann Zeta Function is defined as a sum of an infinite number of terms, and Pi is calculated using an infinite series. Additionally, the Riemann Zeta Function is used to study the behavior of infinite sums, including the convergence and divergence of series.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Riemann Zeta Function and Pi in Infinite Series?

The Riemann Zeta Function and Pi in Infinite Series have various real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and cryptography. They are used in the study of prime numbers, the distribution of energy levels in physical systems, and in the encryption of sensitive data. Additionally, the Riemann Zeta Function is used in the calculation of the Riemann Hypothesis, which has implications in number theory and prime number theory.