Riemann sum of derivative (something like that)

In summary, the following is true: If c is a curve parametrized by t in [a,b], then let \sigma be a partition of [a,b] and \delta_{\sigma} be the maximum of (t_k+1-t_k) for all k in [0,N-1]. Also, define \Delta t_k=t_k+1-t_k. Finally, \lim_{\delta_{\sigma}\rightarrow 0}\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}\frac{|c(t_k+\Delta t_k)-c(t_k)|}{\Delta t_k}\Delta
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi, maybe someone can help. When I think about it, I'm pretty sure that the following is true: Let c be a curve parametrized by [itex]t\in [a,b][/itex], let [itex]\sigma = \{t_0,...,t_N\}[/itex] be a partition of [a,b] and [itex]\delta_{\sigma}=\max_{0\leq k \leq N-1}(t_{k+1}-t_k)[/itex]. Also define [itex]\Delta t_k=t_{k+1}-t_k[/itex] Then,

[tex]\lim_{\delta_{\sigma}\rightarrow 0}\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}\frac{|c(t_k+\Delta t_k)-c(t_k)|}{\Delta t_k}\Delta t_k=\int_a^b |\frac{dc}{dt}(t)|dt[/tex]

Proving this would also amount to proving

[tex]\lim_{\delta_{\sigma}\rightarrow 0}\sum_{k=0}^{N-1}\frac{|c(t_k+\Delta t_k)-c(t_k)|}{\Delta t_k}\Delta t_k=\lim_{\delta_{\sigma}\rightarrow 0}\sum_{k=0}^{N-1} |\frac{dc}{dt}(t_k)|\Delta t_k[/tex]

Is there a way to do this using a finite succession of arguments?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it can be done directly, it looks like a differential approximation should be the obvious thing to do! Remember that for any differentiable f, there is a remainder r such that:

[tex]
f(x + k) = f(x) + k f'(x) + k r(x, k)
[/tex]

and, for each x,

[tex]
\lim_{k \rightarrow 0} r(x, k) = 0
[/tex]

Of course, what you want to prove is trivial over any interval where c is monotonic.

Last edited:
Hi Hurkyl,

If I make that substitution in the riemann integral, I get

[tex]\lim_{max(k_i)\rightarrow 0} \sum_i^N \frac{f(x_i+k_i)-f(x_i)}{k_1}k_i = \int_a^b f'(x)dx + \lim_{max(k_i)\rightarrow 0} \sum_i^N r(x_i,k_i)k_i[/tex]

So the problem is essentially the same: In my OP, I knew that the differential ratio was going to the derivative as [itex]\delta_{\sigma} \rightarrow 0[/itex] so the limit of the riemann sum should be [itex]\int_a^b |\frac{dc}{dt}(t)|dt[/itex], but did not know how to prove it. Now I know that as max(k)-->0, r(x,k)-->0, so the limit of the riemann sum should be [itex]\int_a^b 0dx[/itex], but still don't know how to prove it.

If you take off the absolute value signs, then it's very easy. Your sum is a telescoping series, and your integral is easily integrated.

If you don't want to use that... do you know about uniform convergence?

Anyways... *bonks self* forget about differential approximation. This is a job for the mean value theorem!

Hurray for Hurkyl and the mean value theorem! :D

Related to Riemann sum of derivative (something like that)

1. What is a Riemann sum of derivative?

A Riemann sum of derivative is a mathematical concept that is used to approximate the value of a derivative at a particular point. It involves dividing a function into smaller intervals and calculating the slope of each interval to estimate the slope of the curve at that point.

2. How is a Riemann sum of derivative calculated?

To calculate a Riemann sum of derivative, you need to divide the function into smaller intervals and calculate the slope of each interval. Then, you multiply the slope of each interval by the width of the interval and add all the products together. This will give you an approximation of the value of the derivative at a specific point.

3. What is the significance of Riemann sum of derivative?

Riemann sum of derivative is significant because it allows us to approximate the value of a derivative at a specific point. This is useful in many applications, such as physics and engineering, where we need to estimate the rate of change of a variable at a certain point.

4. How is a Riemann sum of derivative related to the concept of limits?

Riemann sum of derivative is closely related to the concept of limits. In fact, it is a way to approximate the value of a limit. As the size of the intervals in a Riemann sum of derivative becomes smaller, the approximation becomes more accurate and approaches the actual value of the limit.

5. Can a Riemann sum of derivative be used to calculate the value of any derivative?

No, a Riemann sum of derivative can only be used to approximate the value of a derivative at a single point. It cannot be used to calculate the value of a derivative at multiple points or for more complex functions. Other methods, such as the power rule or chain rule, must be used for those situations.