Riemann lebesgue lemma. wikipedia. 2010-06-26

In summary, the Wikipedia proof for the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma involves using dominated convergence theorem to show that the proposition holds true for all positive functions integrable on a given interval. However, the use of this theorem may seem unnecessary and the proof may be unclear to some readers. An alternative approach using step functions may provide a clearer understanding of the proof.
jostpuur
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann-Lebesgue_lemma

Have I made a mistake when it looks to me that the Wikipedia proof on Riemann-Lebesgue lemma looks like nonsense?

Step 1. An elementary calculation shows that
[tex]
\int\limits_I e^{itx} dx \to 0\quad\textrm{as}\quad t\to \pm\infty
[/tex]
for every interval [itex]I\subset [a,b][/itex]. The proposition is therefore true for all step functions with support in [itex][a,b][/itex].

Step 2. By the dominated convergence theorem, the proposition is true for all positive functions, integrable on [itex][a,b][/itex].

How are you supposed to use dominated convergence theorem there?

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x) eitx is dominated by f(x)?

jostpuur said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann-Lebesgue_lemma

Have I made a mistake when it looks to me that the Wikipedia proof on Riemann-Lebesgue lemma looks like nonsense?

How are you supposed to use dominated convergence theorem there?

I haven't analyzed it in detail, but I think it means that any integrable function can be shown to be dominated by a step function (over a finite interval).

Could you tell us why you think it looks like "non-sense"?

I have read one proof for this theorem from a book, and I understood it. Now I see another proof in Wikipedia, I'm unable to understand it, and the author of this piece of wiki-info has not given any sources. That's the origin of my doubts.

If you first prove the result for step functions, and them mention the use of dominated convergence theorem, it looks like that you want to approximate some integrable function with step functions and move a limit from inside the integral to the outside. Like this:

[tex]
\lim_{t\to\infty} \int e^{itx} f(x) dx = \lim_{t\to\infty}\lim_{n\to\infty} \int e^{itx} f_n(x)dx
[/tex]

But what is this good for? It looks like an example of a case where the author justifies some simple step and then completely omits the justification for more difficult step.

If [itex]\epsilon > 0 [/itex] and an integrable function [itex]f[/itex] are given, it would make lot more sense to find a step function [itex]f_n[/itex] such that [itex]\|f -f_n\|_1 < \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex], and then choose [itex]T>0[/itex] such that

[tex]
\big| \int e^{itx} f(x)dx\big| \leq \int |f(x) - f_n(x)| dx \;+\; \big|\int e^{itx} f_n(x) dx\big| < \epsilon
[/tex]

for all [itex]t > T[/itex]. But you don't need dominated convergence for this direction of proof.

Related to Riemann lebesgue lemma. wikipedia. 2010-06-26

1. What is the Riemann Lebesgue lemma?

The Riemann Lebesgue lemma is a mathematical theorem that relates the Fourier transform of a function to its behavior at infinity. It states that the Fourier transform of an absolutely integrable function approaches zero as the frequency approaches infinity.

2. Who discovered the Riemann Lebesgue lemma?

The lemma was first published by mathematician Bernhard Riemann in 1854, but it was later refined and popularized by mathematician Henri Lebesgue in 1910.

3. What are the applications of the Riemann Lebesgue lemma?

The lemma has numerous applications in mathematical analysis, particularly in the study of Fourier series and harmonic analysis. It has also been used in other fields such as physics and engineering to solve differential equations and model physical systems.

4. Is the Riemann Lebesgue lemma still relevant today?

Yes, the lemma is still widely studied and applied in modern mathematics. It has also been extended and generalized to different contexts, such as the Lebesgue-Radon-Nikodym theorem in measure theory.

5. Are there any counterexamples to the Riemann Lebesgue lemma?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the lemma, such as when dealing with functions that are not absolutely integrable or when considering different types of convergence. However, the lemma holds true in most cases and is an important tool in mathematical analysis.