RF Medical Imaging Systems - Get Answers & Solutions Now

In summary: RF frequencies for medical imaging. MRI seems to be the only one, but it may not be the best for certain applications. I suggest checking out some of the patents listed to get started.
jackamo
hi,

i have to prepare a presentation about rf imaging. But i didn't found any medical imaging system using rf. Is there anyone know commercial rf medical imaging system, please help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jackamo said:
hi,

i have to prepare a presentation about rf imaging. But i didn't found any medical imaging system using rf. Is there anyone know commercial rf medical imaging system, please help me.

Welcome to the PF.

What systems did you look at? What frequencies/modalities did they use? How do you define RF?

thank you.
like a computer tomography. There isn't spesific frequencies or modalities. İn fact i am not sure there is a rf medical imaging. İ found two patent paper, but there is no machine.

I assume you mean a system that relies exclusively on RF, correct? After all, MRIs use RF radiation, but not without powerful magnetic fields.

jackamo said:
thank you.
like a computer tomography. There isn't spesific frequencies or modalities. İn fact i am not sure there is a rf medical imaging. İ found two patent paper, but there is no machine.

Can you list the 10 most common medical imaging technologies, along with the range of frequencies that they use? You can start with Ultrasound, which does not use RF...

i mean directly use rf, not MRI. i mention about extremely high frequencies (over 30 GHz).

jackamo said:
i mean directly use rf, not MRI. i mention about extremely high frequencies (over 30 GHz).

Could you please post the exact problem statement or project statement? It's hard to be helpful when the definition of the problem keeps changing...

sorry the other mean my friend will prepare ultrasound imaging..

jackamo said:
İn fact my instructor only said this '' i want you to prepare a presentation about rf medical imaging''. and the other one prepare a ultrasoun medical imaging and the other laser imaging. i search google and library but i only found just two US patent

http://www.google.com.br/patents/US6885191
http://www.google.st/patents/US7664303

The 2nd patent references yet another patent as well. You should try to see if any of these patents has been assigned to a company, because they may have developed some products based on the patents.

The patents seem like a good place to start for your presentation. One thing to keep in mind if you don't find much imaging being done at RF frequencies -- why aren't those frequencies being used much? As stated in the patents, patient safety comes into play with the different imaging modalities (like with ionizing x-ray radiation)...

How specific was your instructor about what constitutes RF? I've heard different people place different boundaries on the spectrum.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help berkeman, i will use your suggestion.

I write software that analyzes Cancer treatment using what we call Linac = Linear Accelerator. This uses a klystron tube then increases the energy of the output up to "energy levels" 6Mev - 18Mev (Mev = mega electron volts). This is not used as imaging, but the X-Ray machines are very similar in the Kev range. You should understand the wavelength of a "energy" packet is tied to Planks constant. Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_constant , X-Ray & CT imaging use this as the source to "light" the field for detection via film or these days energy detectors (imaging detectors). You should find manufacturers such as Seimens, GE. That should get you started, it is very high frequency RF, but certainly not in "radio" range!

As I see it, MRI is the only “RF” imaging system. The need to generate a pulse, is going to be present with any RF imaging as there must be some source of stimulation to enable radar. It is the magnetic gradient fields that make MRI = RF imaging possible.

I think you should go back to your instructor and get a clear ruling on MRI.

I guess one could include THz imaging in this (hundreds of GHz). I don't think it is used clinically, but I know active THz scanning/imaging has been tested for diagnosing e.g. various types of cancer (mainly skin and -I belive- in the mouth).
But -as has been pointed out above- low RF frequencies simply can't be used for direct imaging because the wavelengths are far too long.

You should go back to your instructor and ask him to define his task more precisely. To me, that assignment has the flavour of something 'off the top of his head'. It would be very reasonable for you to challenge him about what he means - substantiated by what you have read here and the fact that you couldn't easily find anything in a search.

Imo, there is no way that X rays or higher energy photons could be classed as "RF". RF would have to be non-ionising, I reckon.

İ suppose that i found my search area about my presentation. Thank you everyone.
My focus is about terahertz imaging. Because it is on radio frequency band in some source such as wikipedia and others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrumhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum
İt is only one using in medical imaging area on rf band.
http://www.teraview.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to RF Medical Imaging Systems - Get Answers & Solutions Now

1. What is an RF medical imaging system?

An RF medical imaging system is a type of medical imaging technology that uses radiofrequency waves to produce images of the human body. It is commonly used in MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) machines to create detailed images of soft tissues, such as muscles and organs.

2. How does an RF medical imaging system work?

An RF medical imaging system works by using a combination of radiofrequency pulses and magnetic fields to create images of the body's internal structures. The radiofrequency pulses cause the atoms in the body to align in a specific direction, and when the magnetic field is applied, these atoms emit signals that are used to create an image.

3. What are the benefits of using an RF medical imaging system?

One of the main benefits of using an RF medical imaging system is that it produces high-quality images with excellent contrast and detail. It is also a non-invasive and painless procedure, making it suitable for patients of all ages. Additionally, RF imaging systems do not use ionizing radiation, making them safer than other types of medical imaging technology.

4. What are the potential risks or side effects of using an RF medical imaging system?

There are minimal risks associated with using an RF medical imaging system. Some patients may experience discomfort from lying still for an extended period during the scan. In rare cases, patients with certain medical devices or metal implants may experience adverse effects due to the strong magnetic fields used in the scan. However, these risks are generally low, and the benefits of the scan usually outweigh them.

5. How is an RF medical imaging system different from other types of medical imaging?

RF medical imaging systems are different from other types of medical imaging, such as X-rays and CT scans, because they use radiofrequency waves and magnetic fields instead of ionizing radiation. This makes them safer and more suitable for certain types of patients, such as pregnant women or children. Additionally, RF imaging systems produce detailed images of soft tissues that may not be visible on other types of scans, making them valuable tools for diagnosing various medical conditions.