RF Chip Selection for SDR Transceiver Design

• Thread starter fidel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rf
In summary, the conversation is about designing an SDR transceiver and the need for a RF chip/module that includes PA, LNA, and Tx/Rx switch for conversion between analog or digital baseband/IF signal and 2.4GHz radio signal. The speaker has looked at various chips, including those from Analog Devices, but is unsure about the bandwidth and filtering options. They are requesting more information.
fidel
Hi all. I'm designing an SDR transceiver. I need a RF chip/module that at least contains PA, LNA and Tx/Rx switch. It should perform conversion between analog or digital baseband/IF signal and 2.4GHz radio signal. Modulation/demodulation will not be done in this chip. The radio signal is sent/received to/from an antenna.

In short, I want the RF module in the figure below only. DAC/ADC can also be included inside:

Antenna <--> RF Module <--> DAC/ADC <--> Baseband processing <--> ...
-------------------------

I've searched a lot but only seen some wifi/bluetooth/zigbee chip sets that indlude modem also...

Do you have suggestion for such chips? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the various chips made by Analog Devices? They have a pretty good assortment of ISM band chips and building blocks:

http://www.analog.com/

3x. I just found some from adi. The bandwidth they support is larger than what I desire. Will it cause trouble except that higher bandwidth will let more noise in?

fidel said:
3x. I just found some from adi. The bandwidth they support is larger than what I desire. Will it cause trouble except that higher bandwidth will let more noise in?

Which bandwidth? Are there any filtering options?

I guess it's the signal BW after modulation, but not sure. I'm requesting more information which is not presented on the web pages.

Related to RF Chip Selection for SDR Transceiver Design

1. What is an RF chip for SDR transceiver?

An RF chip for SDR transceiver is a small electronic component that is used to transmit and receive radio frequency signals in a software-defined radio (SDR) system. It is responsible for the modulation and demodulation of the radio signals, as well as filtering and amplification.

2. How does an RF chip work in an SDR transceiver?

The RF chip in an SDR transceiver works by converting digital signals from the baseband processor into radio frequency signals that can be transmitted over the air. It also receives incoming radio signals and converts them into digital signals for processing by the baseband processor.

3. What are the benefits of using an RF chip in an SDR transceiver?

Using an RF chip in an SDR transceiver allows for greater flexibility and versatility in the radio system. It allows for signal processing to be done through software, rather than hardware, which makes it easier to modify and upgrade the system. It also reduces the need for multiple hardware components, making the system more cost-effective.

4. Are there different types of RF chips for SDR transceivers?

Yes, there are different types of RF chips that are designed specifically for use in SDR transceivers. Some are designed for specific frequency ranges, while others may have additional features such as built-in filters or amplifiers. It is important to choose the right RF chip for the desired frequency range and application.

5. How do I choose the right RF chip for my SDR transceiver?

Choosing the right RF chip for your SDR transceiver depends on your specific needs and application. Consider factors such as frequency range, power requirements, and additional features when selecting an RF chip. It is also recommended to consult with a knowledgeable expert or reference design to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.