Review by Moderators prior to posting?

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary, PF mentors are individuals who have been chosen by current mentors and administrators because of their demonstrated commitment to PF, extensive scientific knowledge in a certain field, and perceived ability to be able to effectively moderate discussions on PF and run the day to day operations of the community.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is there any mechanism to have moderators "preview" a post that might be perceived as contentious controversial?

Likes PWiz
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Ask the mentor or mentors responsible for the forum you're thinking of posting in.

(It is best if you write your question on a new $100-dollar bill and send it via FedEx to our home address, but a PM is acceptable).

Likes Pythagorean, phinds, Borg and 1 other person
Nugatory said:
on a new $100-dollar bill and send it via FedEx to our home address
Thank you --- better make it two --- DH is the mod, and also the one who might be offended.

It's not a bad rule of thumb that if you have to ask "is this appropriate for PF?" the answer is probably "no".

Nugatory said:
Yes. Ask the mentor or mentors responsible for the forum you're thinking of posting in.

I can't seem to find the "Who's who of forum mentors" list.

The link listed here:
Mentor Rank: A PF mentor is a member who has been chosen by current mentors and administrators because of their demonstration of unparalleled commitment to PF, extensive scientific knowledge in a certain field, and perceived ability to be able to effectively moderate discussions on PF and run the day to day operations of the community. The mentors help maintain the high-quality scientific discussion that makes PF famous! Many of the mentors are professional scientists and graduate students. Mentors are distinguished by a green name in their posts on the forums and a "PF Mentor" label underneath their name. The Physics Forums mentors are listed under the "Staff" at the top of any PF page.

List of current mentors can be found https://www.physicsforums.com/showgroups.php .

gives me a 404, black hole error.
And it looks as though "mentors are listed under the "Staff" at the top of any PF page" is no longer true.

ps. I did learn lots of things about the new forum software though. I think I pushed every button available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanadium 50 said:
It's not a bad rule of thumb that if you have to ask "is this appropriate for PF?" the answer is probably "no".
:DD

I've been planning for weeks on starting a new "Crackpot" based thread. Quite innocuous, as crackpot threads go. I think it will be fun. But I was planning on @Vanadium 50 notifying all of the mentors who were online at the moment, just in case.

As I mentioned, in a very wicked witch kind of voice; "These things have to be done delicately, or the wrath of the mentors will come down on you like a...".

:angel:

Vanadium 50 said:

That is indeed an odds-on bet. However, it has happened that the back-and-forth discussion leads to a more clearly framed question and we end up with a good thread. And even if the answer is "no"... It can't hurt to ask.

Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission?

You could always post the message and then immediately report it. It will reach the right person pretty quick, and I doubt you'd be infracted for reporting yourself.

DaveC426913 said:
You could always post the message and then immediately report it. It will reach the right person pretty quick, and I doubt you'd be infracted for reporting yourself.

Don't do that, please... please... PLEASE don't. The post may attract responses before we get around it to it, and that makes for much more cleanup effort and many more hard feelings.

Likes Bystander
DaveC426913 said:
Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission?

Heh, a certain Australian prime minister has often resorted to that maxim. His career is not going too well anymore.

Anyway, (istm),... it's rather too close to how priestly pedophiles behave... :mad:

OmCheeto said:
I can't seem to find the "Who's who of forum mentors" list.

The link listed here gives me a 404, black hole error.
And it looks as though "mentors are listed under the "Staff" at the top of any PF page" is no longer true.
Ooopsie... Yes, that's a problem :).
Try https://www.physicsforums.com/help/mentorforums/ which is linked from Info->Help/How-To

(See, we really do pay attention to you sometimes).

Likes OmCheeto

Related to Review by Moderators prior to posting?

1. What is the purpose of having moderators review posts before they are published?

The purpose of having moderators review posts before they are published is to ensure that the content being shared is appropriate and follows the guidelines set by the platform. This helps to maintain a safe and respectful online community for all users.

2. How do moderators decide which posts to approve or reject?

Moderators use a set of criteria and guidelines to determine whether a post should be approved or rejected. This may include checking for offensive language, spam, or inappropriate content. They also consider the overall tone and relevance of the post to the community.

3. How long does it typically take for a post to be reviewed by moderators?

The time it takes for a post to be reviewed by moderators can vary depending on the platform and the volume of posts being submitted. Some platforms have a team of moderators who review posts in real-time, while others may have a longer review process. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

4. Can I appeal a decision made by a moderator to reject my post?

Some platforms may allow users to appeal a decision made by a moderator to reject their post. This usually involves submitting a request or providing additional information for the moderator to reconsider. However, it is ultimately up to the discretion of the platform and their guidelines on appeals.

5. Are there any tips for getting a post approved by moderators?

Yes, there are a few tips that can increase the chances of your post being approved by moderators. These include following the platform's guidelines, avoiding offensive or inappropriate language, and ensuring that your post is relevant to the community. It also helps to be patient and understanding if your post does not get approved right away.