Reversing digits, then adding and finding divisible integers of result.

• Thread starter VinnyCee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integers
In summary: Ha! That's good. Attention to detail is even more important to exposing lame problem statements than I thought.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

If you find the sum of any two digit number and the number formed by reversing its digits, the resulting number is always divisible by which three positive integers?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\left(10\ x\ +\ y\right)\ +\ \left(10\ y\ +\ x\right)\ =\ 11\ x\ +\ 11\ y[/itex]

Where x is the tens place and y is the ones place. This is divisible by 11, and 1 (as are all integers) and x + y.

[itex]\therefore\ x\ +\ y\ ,11\ ,1\ |\ 11\ x\ +\ 11\ y[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Was there a question in there? Did you determine the 3 numbers?

VinnyCee said:

Homework Statement

If you find the sum of any two digit number and the number formed by reversing its digits, the resulting number is always divisible by which three positive integers?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\left(10\ x\ +\ y\right)\ +\ \left(10\ y\ +\ x\right)\ =\ 11\ x\ +\ 11\ y[/itex]

Where x is the tens place and y is the ones place. This is divisible by 11, and 1 (as are all integers) and x + y.

[itex]\therefore\ x\ +\ y\ ,11\ ,1\ |\ 11\ x\ +\ 11\ y[/itex]

The number is pretty likely to be divisible by itself as well as 1 and 11, isn't it? Kind of a trick question.

Dick said:
The number is pretty likely to be divisible by itself as well as 1 and 11, isn't it? Kind of a trick question.

Well, if we include one and itself, we are up to 4 numbers (11 and x+y).

So, either they're being generous, asking only for 3 of 4, or they don't count 1 and itself, which would mean we're still missing one.

DaveC426913 said:

So, either they're being generous, asking only for 3 of 4, or they don't count 1 and itself, which would mean we're still missing one.

Well, 11+11=22. The only divisors are 1,2,11 and 22. I count four. So that's the max for the minimum number of divisors. Don't think any can be missing. 1 divides everything. So that's probably the one I would throw out. But every number divides itself as well. Tough call.

Dick said:
Well, 11+11=22. The only divisors are 1,2,11 and 22. I count four. So that's the min. Don't think any can be missing. 1 divides everything. So that's probably the one I would throw out. But every number divides itself as well. Tough call.

22??

22 isn't one of them.34,43 = 77, divisible by 1,7,11,77
27,72 = 99, divisible by 1,9,11,99
etc.

DaveC426913 said:
22??

22 isn't one of them.34,43 = 77, divisible by 1,7,11,77
27,72 = 99, divisible by 1,9,11,99
etc.

11 isn't a two digit number? This is getting silly.

Dick said:
11 isn't a two digit number? This is getting silly.

Oh sorry. I thought you were claiming 22 was a common divisor. As in: any 2 digit number and the sum of its reversed version would be divisible by 22. My error.:blushing:

DaveC426913 said:

Yes, there are 4 positive numbers, 2 fixed, and 2 depending on the choice of digits.
However, these numbers do not have to be distinct.

Note that with the choice "10", the resulting number is 11, and we only get 1 and 11 as divisors.
In all other cases, there are 3 distinct numbers guaranteed: itself, 11, and 1.

So either we get one number for free, or the problem is broken.

I like Serena said:
Yes, there are 4 positive numbers, 2 fixed, and 2 depending on the choice of digits.
However, these numbers do not have to be distinct.

Note that with the choice "10", the resulting number is 11, and we only get 1 and 11 as divisors.
In all other cases, there are 3 distinct numbers guaranteed: itself, 11, and 1.

So either we get one number for free, or the problem is broken.

Ha! That's good. Attention to detail is even more important to exposing lame problem statements than I thought.

Related to Reversing digits, then adding and finding divisible integers of result.

What is "Reversing digits, then adding and finding divisible integers of result"?

"Reversing digits, then adding and finding divisible integers of result" is a mathematical process where the digits of a number are reversed, then the resulting number is added to the original number. The final result is then checked to see if it is divisible by any integers.

What is the purpose of "Reversing digits, then adding and finding divisible integers of result"?

The purpose of this process is to explore patterns and properties of numbers, and to see if there are any specific numbers or types of numbers that are more likely to produce a result that is divisible by certain integers.

What is the difference between reversing digits and reversing the order of the digits?

Reversing digits refers to flipping the order of the individual digits within a number, whereas reversing the order of the digits refers to flipping the entire number. For example, reversing the digits of 123 would result in 321, while reversing the order of the digits would result in 321,000,000,000.

Can this process be applied to any number?

Yes, this process can be applied to any number, although the resulting number may become very large depending on the original number and the number of digits it contains.

What are some potential real-world applications of "Reversing digits, then adding and finding divisible integers of result"?

This process can be used in cryptography to create a secure algorithm for encrypting and decrypting data. It can also be used in data compression to reduce the size of large numbers. Additionally, it can be used in number theory to explore the properties and patterns of numbers.