Reversible Composite Heat Engine 3 Reservoirs

Sorry for the inconvenience.Your heat calculations are correct but the entropy calculations are not.For the first engine, since it is a reversible (Carnot) cycle, the efficiency is given by: \eta = W/Q_h = (Q_h - Q_c)/Q_h = (T_h - T_c)/T_h = (400-300)/400 = .25 where Qh is the heat flow out of the hot reservoir and Qc the heat flow into the cold.Since Qh = 1200 J, Qc = 900 J.Now, dS = dQ/T. But you have to give the heat a sign depending on whether it is flowing into (+) or out of (-) the reservoir.
sanitykey

Homework Statement

A reversible composite heat engine operates between three reservoirs at temperatures of 400K, 300K and 200K. One engine operates between the 400K and 300K reservoirs and a second engine operates between the 300K and 200K reservoirs and is synchronised with the first. In one cycle 1200 J of heat is extracted from the 400K reservoir and 100 J of heat is rejected to the 200K reservoir. Calculate the heat exchanged per cycle with the 300K reservoir and the net work done by the engine. Find the total entropy change.

Homework Equations

[tex]S_\mathrm{in}=\frac{Q_H}{T_H}=\frac{Q_C}{T_C}=S_\mathrm{out}[/tex]

[tex]W=Q_H-Q_C[/tex]

where [itex]Q_H>Q_C[/itex], [itex]T_H>T_C[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attatched my attempt at a solution as a scanned image onto this post which is mostly the same as what I've put below but with what i think makes an acceptable diagram (in fact i didn't use a ruler it's more of a quick sketch =P ). I've had a few attempts at this solution and although i think this is better than the others i made i still think it's wrong so if somebody could show me where I've went wrong i'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance for any help =)

[tex]S_\mathrm{in}=\frac{1200 J}{400K}=\frac{Q_2}{300K}=S_\mathrm{out}[/tex]

[tex]Q_2=900 J[/tex]

[tex]W_1=1200 J - 900 J = 300 J[/tex]

[tex]S_\mathrm{in2}=\frac{Q_3}{300K}=\frac{100J}{200K}=S_\mathrm{out2}[/tex]

[tex]Q_3=150 J[/tex]

[tex]W_2=150 J - 100 J = 50 J[/tex]

Net work done by the system [itex]W_T=W_1+W_2=300 J + 50 J = 350 J[/itex]

The total change in entropy is:

[tex]S_\mathrm{in} - S_\mathrm{out2} = 3 J/K - 0.5 J/K = 2.5 J/K[/tex]

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 863
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me? I mean no response could be either my approach is so horrendous that it's completely wrong and not worth commenting on or everything could be ok? XD

I think I'm wrong on the last bit, since the whole system is reversible the total entropy change should be zero i think and what i should of done is added all the changes in entropy to find the total change in entropy rather than taking the difference between the entropy input into the first part of the system and the entropy output in the second part of the system.

So i think it should look something like:

[tex]\Delta S = \Delta S_1 + \Delta S_2 = 0 + 0 = 0[/tex]

where [itex]\Delta S[/itex] is the total change in entropy, [itex]\Delta S_1[/itex] is the change in entropy between the 400K and 300K reservoirs and [itex]\Delta S_2[/itex] is the change in entropy between the 300K and 200K reservoirs.

As for the rest of it i hope it's right.

I got my marks back the other day and everything was ok ^_^

sanitykey said:
I think I'm wrong on the last bit, since the whole system is reversible the total entropy change should be zero i think and what i should of done is added all the changes in entropy to find the total change in entropy rather than taking the difference between the entropy input into the first part of the system and the entropy output in the second part of the system.

So i think it should look something like:

[tex]\Delta S = \Delta S_1 + \Delta S_2 = 0 + 0 = 0[/tex]

where [itex]\Delta S[/itex] is the total change in entropy, [itex]\Delta S_1[/itex] is the change in entropy between the 400K and 300K reservoirs and [itex]\Delta S_2[/itex] is the change in entropy between the 300K and 200K reservoirs.

As for the rest of it i hope it's right.
Your heat calculations are correct but the entropy calculations are not.

For the first engine, since it is a reversible (Carnot) cycle, the efficiency is given by:
[itex]\eta = W/Q_h = (Q_h - Q_c)/Q_h = (T_h - T_c)/T_h = (400-300)/400 = .25[/itex] where Qh is the heat flow out of the hot reservoir and Qc the heat flow into the cold.

Since Qh = 1200 J, Qc = 900 J.

Now, dS = dQ/T. But you have to give the heat a sign depending on whether it is flowing into (+) or out of (-) the reservoir.

So the entropy change for the hot reservoir (heat leaving) is: [itex]\Delta S_h = \int dQ_h/T_h = -1200/400 = -3 J/K[/itex] and the entropy change for the cold reservoir is [itex]\Delta S_c = \int dQ_c/T_c = +900/300 = +3 J/K[/itex] .

Therefore, the total change in entropy is the sum of the entropy changes for each reservoir:

[itex]\Delta S_{total} = \Delta S_h + \Delta S_c = \text{-3 + 3 = 0 J/K}[/itex]

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
Your heat calculations are correct but the entropy calculations are not.

For the first engine, since it is a reversible (Carnot) cycle, the efficiency is given by:
[itex]\eta = W/Q_h = (Q_h - Q_c)/Q_h = (T_h - T_c)/T_h = (400-300)/400 = .25[/itex] where Qh is the heat flow out of the hot reservoir and Qc the heat flow into the cold.

Since Qh = 1200 J, Qc = 900 J.

Now, dS = dQ/T. But you have to give the heat a sign depending on whether it is flowing into (+) or out of (-) the reservoir.

So the entropy change for the hot reservoir (heat leaving) is: [itex]\Delta S_h = \int dQ_h/T_h = -1200/400 = -3 J/K[/itex] and the entropy change for the cold reservoir is [itex]\Delta S_c = \int dQ_c/T_c = +900/300 = +3 J/K[/itex] .

Therefore, the total change in entropy is the sum of the entropy changes for each reservoir:

[itex]\Delta S_{total} = \Delta S_h + \Delta S_c = \text{-3 + 3 = 0 J/K}[/itex]

AM
Repost with Latex working.

Related to Reversible Composite Heat Engine 3 Reservoirs

1. What is a Reversible Composite Heat Engine with 3 Reservoirs?

A Reversible Composite Heat Engine with 3 Reservoirs is a thermodynamic system that uses three separate heat reservoirs to convert heat into work. It is a more complex version of a traditional heat engine, which typically only uses two reservoirs.

2. How does a Reversible Composite Heat Engine with 3 Reservoirs work?

This type of heat engine works by taking in heat from a high-temperature reservoir, using it to do work, and then releasing the remaining heat to a low-temperature reservoir. In a reversible engine, this process is done in a way that minimizes any waste or loss of energy.

3. What are the advantages of using a Reversible Composite Heat Engine with 3 Reservoirs?

One major advantage is that this type of engine can achieve higher efficiency than traditional heat engines. It can also help to reduce waste and increase the overall sustainability of energy production. Additionally, by using multiple reservoirs, it can be better suited for a wider range of temperature differences between the heat sources.

4. What are some real-world applications of Reversible Composite Heat Engine with 3 Reservoirs?

This type of heat engine has potential applications in various industries, such as power generation, transportation, and refrigeration. It could also be used in renewable energy systems, such as geothermal or solar power plants, to increase efficiency and reduce environmental impact.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with Reversible Composite Heat Engine with 3 Reservoirs?

Like any technology, there are limitations and challenges associated with this type of heat engine. One challenge is the complexity and cost of building and maintaining such a system. Additionally, the efficiency of the engine may decrease over time due to factors such as wear and tear and external environmental factors.