Resources for Vertical Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation is about a student's struggles with understanding vertical projectile motion and their search for online resources to help them master the topic. They mention that they have found resources for projectile motion at an angle, but not specifically for vertical projectile motion. The student also mentions difficulties with drawing graphs and understanding reference points in this topic, and compares it to other physics concepts they find easier. They are recommended to consult a standard introductory physics textbook or an online resource from openstax for help with this topic.
Zakariyya
Hello

I am in my final year of schooling in South Africa. For Physics, we do a module called Vertical Projectile Motion & Graphs. This section uses equations of motion etc.

I cannot seem to find the online resources for me to truly master this section.
The sites I have are of projectile motion when an object is projected at an angle etc
I attach the few of the past papers to show what type of questions we get on this section.
The questions are Questions 3 in the 2015 & 2016 papers

Answers are provided as well

Thanks!

Attachments

• Physical Sciences P1 Nov 2015 Memo Afr & Eng.pdf
    698.9 KB · Views: 434
  • Physical Sciences P1 Nov 2015 Eng.pdf
    523.8 KB · Views: 320
  • Physical Sciences P1 Feb-March 2016 Eng.pdf
    500.3 KB · Views: 409
  • Physical Sciences P1 Feb-March 2016 Eng & Afr Memo.pdf
    462 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
What is it that you want to master about vertical projectile motion? Vertical projectile motion can be treated as one-dimensional motion with the coordinate axis tilted by 90 degrees.

Pretty much everything. I want problem equations with 2 objects and one is projected a second after the other, as in the 2 questions I gave.
I struggle with drawing graphs and understanding the meaning of choosing a certain point as reference.
To me, this section is trickier than Newton's Laws, Work and Energy, and Momentum

Related to Resources for Vertical Projectile Motion

1. What is vertical projectile motion?

Vertical projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched vertically into the air and then falls back to the ground under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion that follows a parabolic path.

2. What are some common resources for understanding vertical projectile motion?

Some common resources for understanding vertical projectile motion include textbooks, online videos and tutorials, physics simulation software, and educational websites such as Khan Academy or Physics Classroom.

3. How can I calculate the initial velocity or launch angle for a vertical projectile?

The initial velocity and launch angle of a vertical projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion and the known values of the object's final position, time of flight, and acceleration due to gravity.

4. Are there any real-life applications of vertical projectile motion?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of vertical projectile motion, such as throwing a ball, launching a rocket into space, or shooting a basketball into a hoop. It is also used in sports, engineering, and military applications.

5. How can I use resources for vertical projectile motion to improve my understanding of the subject?

To use resources for vertical projectile motion effectively, it is recommended to first gain a basic understanding of the concepts and equations involved. Then, practice solving problems and working through examples to reinforce your understanding. Additionally, using interactive resources such as simulations can help visualize the motion and make it easier to grasp the concepts.