Resonance Structures for a Certain Molecule

In summary, there is a discussion about the inclusion of resonance structures for a molecule where all double bonds are displaced. The first structure shown only includes one of these possible resonance structures, and the website provided seems to agree with this. However, the second picture uploaded shows a different perspective where all possible electron movements are shown. The conversation then continues to discuss the inclusion of atoms changing and the presence of dashed lines and partial charges in the first picture. Ultimately, it is determined that both pictures are somewhat correct, but the second picture provides a more comprehensive representation of the molecule's resonance structures.
alingy1
Please look at the pictures.

I do not understand why they have not included the resonance structure for that molecule for which all the double bonds are displaced is not included.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 8.43.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 8.43.10 PM.png
    4 KB · Views: 464
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
Your structure in red is the first structure they drew. Are you referring to some other resonance structure?

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/harding/tutorials/resonance/draw_res_str_key.html

The position of atoms should not change and all possibilities of electrons moving should be shown. This website seems to agree with me.

I don't see any atoms changing in the first picture you uploaded, but I could be tired (or stupid). Are you perhaps referring to the pi electrons shifting within the ring? Technically they have shown ALL possible resonance structures with the dashed lines and partial charges in the first picture. If I am misinterpreting, please post a picture of what you believe the missing resonance structure is.

EDIT: I've looked closer at your first two pictures and now I see what you mean. Yes you are kind of correct, but so is the first picture due to inclusion of the bottom structure with the dashes (see my comments above).

I would like to clarify that resonance structures are not definitive representations of a molecule's structure, but rather a way to illustrate the delocalization of electrons within a molecule. Therefore, it is possible that some resonance structures may not be included in a particular depiction, as they may not contribute significantly to the overall electronic structure of the molecule. It is also important to note that resonance structures are not separate molecules, but rather different representations of the same molecule.

Related to Resonance Structures for a Certain Molecule

1. What are resonance structures?

Resonance structures are different Lewis structures that can be drawn for a molecule, where the placement of electrons and atoms can vary while keeping the overall molecular formula the same.

2. How do you determine the most stable resonance structure for a molecule?

The most stable resonance structure is determined by following the octet rule, where the structure with the most number of atoms with a complete outer shell is considered the most stable.

3. Can resonance structures have different bond lengths?

Yes, resonance structures can have different bond lengths because the electrons are delocalized between different atoms in the molecule, resulting in varying bond strengths.

4. Are resonance structures real representations of a molecule?

No, resonance structures are theoretical representations that show the different possible arrangements of electrons and atoms in a molecule. The true structure of a molecule is a combination of all the resonance structures.

5. How do resonance structures affect the stability of a molecule?

Resonance structures contribute to the stability of a molecule by distributing the electrons more evenly, resulting in a more stable overall structure. The more resonance structures a molecule has, the more stable it is.