Resolving Issues with Stealth TCP Port EPMAP

• Thread starter mmwave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues
In summary, the conversation discussed a TCP port epmap attack on port 135 which is a common attack point for viruses and worms. The speaker's firewall seems to block these attacks but they are still receiving notifications. They also mentioned disabling unnecessary processes such as ClipBook, Fax, Net Logon, and Messenger, which may have slowed down the attacks. However, the speaker is not sure if it actually helped or if the hackers just took a break. They also mentioned that their computer seems to be booting up faster since disabling these processes.
mmwave
Hi,

Can someone tell please what is a stealth TCP port epmap and why they keep happening to my computer?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Since there were no replies here's what I've learned in the meantime:

The TCP port epmap attack is occurring on port 135 and that is the number one (by far) most common attack point for virus & worm attacks world wide. They usually cause Denial of Service attacks. My firewall seems to block them but I'm sick of seeing the message pop up.

Have you tried turning your remote messaging off? If you have a standalone computer (as opposed to a LAN) you don't need it.

That sounds good. Which process is it exactly? I don't find it among my processes. After investigating this problem I disabled a bunch of unnecessary & risky processes like ClipBook, Fax, Net Logon and Messenger. I thought for a while this eliminated the epmap attacks but it only seems to have slowed them down (or else many hackers took the weekend off). (Oops, there goes one now!)

The computer seems faster booting up since I deleted those processes but it could be wishful thinking on my part.

Related to Resolving Issues with Stealth TCP Port EPMAP

1. What is Stealth TCP Port EPMAP?

Stealth TCP Port EPMAP (Endpoint Mapper) is a network service that runs on Windows operating systems and is used for remote procedure calls (RPC) between computers. It allows communication between different computers on a network and is typically used by hackers to gain unauthorized access to a system.

2. How do I know if my system is vulnerable to attacks through Stealth TCP Port EPMAP?

To check if your system is vulnerable, you can use a network scanning tool to scan for open ports and check if EPMAP is one of them. You can also use a firewall to block incoming requests to EPMAP or disable the service altogether if it is not needed.

3. What are the potential risks of leaving Stealth TCP Port EPMAP open?

If EPMAP is left open and unsecured, it can be used by attackers to gain access to your system and potentially steal sensitive information or install malware. It can also be used to launch denial-of-service attacks, causing your system to crash or become unavailable.

4. How can I secure my system against attacks through Stealth TCP Port EPMAP?

To secure your system, you can use a firewall to block incoming requests to EPMAP. You can also disable the service if it is not needed. Additionally, keeping your system and network security up to date, using strong passwords, and limiting remote access can also help prevent attacks through EPMAP.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Stealth TCP Port EPMAP for remote procedure calls?

Yes, there are other protocols and services that can be used for remote procedure calls, such as Secure Shell (SSH) or Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). These alternatives are more secure and should be used instead of EPMAP whenever possible.