Resolving Forces in 3D - Statics

In summary: Basically you are trying to solve for each component of the tension in each wire while taking into account the forces acting on the whole structure.
keximaze
1. Three guy wires hold a pole BO as shown. The resultant R of the forces due to the three wires has a magnitude of 1000-N and is directed on the pole BO. Force F2 and F3 have a magnitude of 400-N and 500-N, respectively. The distance from point A to point D is 5-m. Find the tension in cable BD.

problem.jpg

Homework Equations

Summation of all the forces = 0
F1 + F2 + F3 + R = 0
F = F*(unit vector)

The Attempt at a Solution

On the solution below, I first established vectors F2 and F3 using the equation F=F*(unit vector). After that, I obtained a relation between Ax and Ay using the length AD.
I ended up with a set of 4 equations and 3 unknowns (the circled part below). I could get an answer but I am not sure if its right. Also, I believe that this is not the most practical way of solving the problem.
a.jpg
Could anyone please help me find a better way of solving this problem? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no better way but you are almost there! You have three equations and two unknowns A_x and F_1

Solve Sum F_y=0 equation for A_x and plug into one of the other equations.

This question is a little confusing so one must be very careful to understand what is known and what is not known.

Once you are sure about what you know, you need to first find Ay, then Ax, then |F_1|. I won't give too much away, this is a very tough question.

vertigo said:
This question is a little confusing so one must be very careful to understand what is known and what is not known.

Once you are sure about what you know, you need to first find Ay, then Ax, then |F_1|. I won't give too much away, this is a very tough question.

Please explain what you mean by "one must be very careful to understand what is known and what is not known"...am I going on the right track or did I make a mistake on the first part?

More hints pleaseeeee.

You are doing this problem correctly! Everything looks good.

Now solve your expression "sum forces in Y direction=0" for A_x

Now that you have solved for A_x plug that result into expression for "sum of forces in Z direction = 0). You can solve for F_1

You could have plugged A_x into "Sum forces in x-direction = 0" as well, same result.

This problem is a bit of a bookkeeping nightmare but pretty straight forward in approach.

Related to Resolving Forces in 3D - Statics

What is the concept of resolving forces in 3D - Statics?

The concept of resolving forces in 3D - Statics is a method used to break down a complex force into its individual components in three-dimensional space. It is used to analyze the equilibrium of a rigid body and determine the forces acting on it.

What are the key steps to resolving forces in 3D - Statics?

The key steps to resolving forces in 3D - Statics include drawing a free-body diagram, identifying the forces and their directions, resolving the forces into their components, and applying the equations of equilibrium to solve for unknown forces or reactions.

What are the different types of forces that can be resolved in 3D - Statics?

The different types of forces that can be resolved in 3D - Statics include point forces, distributed forces, and couple forces. Point forces act at a single point and have a specific magnitude and direction. Distributed forces act over a certain area and have a varying magnitude and direction. Couple forces act in a rotational manner and have a magnitude and direction perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

What are the equations used to solve for unknown forces in 3D - Statics?

The equations used to solve for unknown forces in 3D - Statics are the equations of equilibrium, which include the sum of forces in the x, y, and z directions equaling zero, and the sum of moments about any point equaling zero. These equations can be used to solve for both unknown forces and unknown reactions.

What are some real-world applications of resolving forces in 3D - Statics?

Resolving forces in 3D - Statics has practical applications in various engineering disciplines, such as civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering. It is used to analyze and design structures, machines, and vehicles to ensure they can withstand the forces acting on them and maintain equilibrium. It is also used in biomechanics to understand the forces that act on the human body and in geotechnical engineering to analyze soil stability and foundation design.