Resolving angle of parallelogram in 3D space

In summary, the conversation discusses using trigonometry to determine the angle of a parallelogram in a scale model making hobby. The individual has attempted to divide the shape into triangles and use 3D trigonometry, but has not found a solution. They ask for guidance on which mathematical principles to study in order to solve the problem and mention that the shape may be incompletely specified.
Naton
Hi there,

I'm doing a bit of amateur scale model making as a hobby, building shapes out of flat-cut pieces. Trigonometry is a huge help with this, but I've hit a snag where I'm trying to calculate the angle of a particular parallelogram so it fits with the rest of the geometry.

1. Homework Statement

I've mocked up all of the variables from my situation into the following diagram with the angle I'm trying to determine marked as x:

https://zirung-sn3301.files.1drv.com/y3mjpry3qkCccqFTsqO8r5FMSn5iW1EOxg8zIyxIwBWd-K9eOxx_xsxBwu3Jqhu9f4S4W5EPP40fJnMqGBNe_ld4sSOf2zYCl0gRIAsvEUn3f_Za9Wg1nwQVSdFTg8TN3ifwWz6V0saeSPCEGmylsD_qxfzYBPptIN1dp5gQdHsuj8/math.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to divide the shape into triangles so I can apply trigonometry to the problem, and even experimented with 3D trigonometry, however neither seemed applicable to finding a solution.
I know I haven't provided enough to deserve a full solution, but if anyone could point me in the direction of which mathematical principles I would need to study in order to solve this, I would be grateful and happy to read up on them and come back with my work (after all, I will need to do perform similar tasks in the future, so there's no point in just getting the answer to this one without learning to do it myself).

Thank you for your time,

-Naton

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the shape may be incompletely specified.
Call the parallelogram with the 65 and 115 degree angles P, and call the top right-angle triangle T.
Then the angle between the planes of T and P can change without disturbing any of the given measurements. We can visualize this with P being like a hanging sign that swings on hinges attached to the ##\sqrt{3}##-length side of T.
I think that, as that angle changes, the angle x will change.

Related to Resolving angle of parallelogram in 3D space

1. How do you find the angle of a parallelogram in 3D space?

To find the angle of a parallelogram in 3D space, you will need to use the dot product formula. First, find the dot product of the two adjacent sides of the parallelogram. Then, divide the dot product by the product of the magnitudes of the two sides. Finally, take the inverse cosine of this value to find the angle.

2. Can you use the same method to find the angle of any polygon in 3D space?

No, the dot product formula can only be used to find the angle of a parallelogram in 3D space. Other polygons may require different equations or methods to find their angles.

3. What is the difference between finding the angle of a parallelogram in 2D versus 3D space?

In 2D space, the angle of a parallelogram can be found using the inverse tangent function. However, in 3D space, the dot product formula is needed due to the added dimension. Additionally, the angle in 2D space is measured in relation to the x-axis, while in 3D space it is measured in relation to the plane of the parallelogram.

4. Can the angle of a parallelogram in 3D space be negative?

Yes, the angle of a parallelogram in 3D space can be negative. This occurs when the angle is measured in the opposite direction of the positive direction of the chosen axis.

5. Is it possible for the angle of a parallelogram in 3D space to be greater than 180 degrees?

No, the angle of a parallelogram in 3D space cannot be greater than 180 degrees. This is because the dot product formula will always give a value between 0 and 180 degrees, regardless of the lengths of the sides of the parallelogram.