Resistors in parallel with a capacitor, total resistance?

In summary, the capacitor on the left in the circuit behaves like a short circuit when there is no voltage, and then behaves like a broken wire once it's fully charged. After finding the equivalent resistance, you can calculate the initial current.
Tangeton
Hello, I am not quite sure how to work out the before and after charging values for resistance and current.
This is the circuit I am working with:

j9wqc0.png

So, when there is no voltage then the capacitor can be technically not considered as part of the circuit. So for the resistors, would R = 1/R1 (the one most to the left) + 1/R2 (the one to the right). but here is my problem.

In this video () at 1:10 ish she faces a similar circuit, and if I was to get rid of that once resistor in series for her the resistance would be (1/R + 1/R)^-1. But why would she inverse 1/R + 1/R and in my case would this apply as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
The resistance of the circuit changes as the capacitors charge up. When there is no charge on the capacitors, they act just like a wire connection, so the capacitor on the left shorts out the resisters and the circuit resistance is 0. When the capacitors are fully charged, they act like a broken wire and the circuit acts like the resister on the right.

FactChecker said:
The resistance of the circuit changes as the capacitors charge up. When there is no charge on the capacitors, they act just like a wire connection, so the capacitor on the left shorts out the resisters and the circuit resistance is 0. When the capacitors are fully charged, they act like a broken wire and the circuit acts like the resister on the right.

Thanks for your help! But by the resistor on the left... there's only one capacitor so no need to specify I guess..? The element on the left is battery.

Resistances in parallel obey this rule (which can be verified):

$$R_{||} = \left( \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{R_i} \right)^{-1} = \left(\frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{R_n} \right)^{-1}$$

Initially assuming the capacitor is uncharged, it behaves like a short circuit. So the equivalent resistance in the circuit is the two resistors in parallel.

After finding the equivalent resistance, you can simply use Ohm's law to find the initial current.

After a long time, the capacitor is fully charged, and stops current from flowing in the branch.

At this time, you have a single loop circuit with an emf. Use KVL or Ohm's law directly to calculate the current.

Likes Tangeton
Equivalent circuit before and after charging the capacitor..

Before and after.png

Likes Tangeton
Tangeton said:
The element on the left is battery.
Oh! Sorry. Of course. (I shouldn't try to do anything in the morning before a cup of coffee)

FactChecker said:
That's not quite right, (ideal) capacitors never exhibit resistance. As they charge up they look like a voltage source, V = Q/C, where Q is the charge on the capacitor. When a capacitor is uncharged V = 0 so it looks like a 0 V voltage source (a short circuit, equivalent to a piece of wire). When the circuit reaches steady state and the capacitor is as charged as it's going to get it looks like a voltage source that matches the potential difference between the nodes to which it's connected; current ceases flowing to or from the capacitor since there's no potential difference to drive it, so the capacitor is then effectively an open circuit as it no longer affects the circuit behavior.

Likes Tangeton
Thanks for everybody's help I understand it now, gneli's post and CWatters's diagrams is what I've been looking for :)

Related to Resistors in parallel with a capacitor, total resistance?

1. What is the total resistance of a circuit with resistors in parallel with a capacitor?

The total resistance of a circuit with resistors in parallel with a capacitor is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. However, the presence of a capacitor in parallel may affect the overall impedance of the circuit, which is a combination of resistance and reactance.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit with a capacitor?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit with a capacitor, you can use the formula 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... 1/Rn, where RT is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances. This formula takes into account the inverse relationship between resistance and capacitance in a parallel circuit.

3. What is the effect of adding a capacitor in parallel with resistors in a circuit?

Adding a capacitor in parallel with resistors in a circuit can have several effects. It can decrease the overall impedance of the circuit, leading to a higher current flow. It can also change the phase relationship between voltage and current in the circuit. Additionally, the presence of a capacitor may cause a time delay in the circuit's response to changes in voltage or current.

4. How does the total resistance change if more resistors are added in parallel with a capacitor?

If more resistors are added in parallel with a capacitor, the total resistance of the circuit will decrease. This is because the additional resistors provide more paths for the current to flow, resulting in a lower overall resistance. However, the addition of more resistors may also affect the overall impedance and phase relationship in the circuit.

5. Can a circuit with resistors in parallel with a capacitor have a total resistance of zero?

No, a circuit with resistors in parallel with a capacitor cannot have a total resistance of zero. This is because even if one of the resistors has a very low resistance, there will still be some resistance from the other resistors and the capacitor. Additionally, the presence of a capacitor in parallel will always introduce some reactance, which cannot be reduced to zero.