Resistor network question Cant get it

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a network of 5 resistors connected to a 12.0V emf. The total current in the circuit is 12.0A and the goal is to determine, draw, and label the configuration for this network of resistors. The resistors have values of R1=1ohm, R2=1ohm, R3=1ohm, R4=1ohm, and R5=4ohm. The participants discuss different approaches and eventually come to the solution of putting 3 1 ohm resistors in parallel, connecting a single 1 ohm resistor in
biochemguy

Homework Statement

A network of 5 resistors is constructed to a 12.0V emf. the total current in the circuit is 12.0A. determine, draw and label the configuration for the network of resistors
R1=1ohm, R2=1ohm, R3=1ohm, R4=1ohm, R5=4ohm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i figured that the overall resistance must be 1Ohm using Ohm's Law but I've filled up like 2 pages with stuff that doesn't add up. anyone have any suggestions or maybe an easier way to approach the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
biochemguy said:

Homework Statement

A network of 5 resistors is constructed to a 12.0V emf. the total current in the circuit is 12.0A. determine, draw and label the configuration for the network of resistors
R1=1ohm, R2=1ohm, R3=1ohm, R4=1ohm, R5=4ohm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i figured that the overall resistance must be 1Ohm using Ohm's Law but I've filled up like 2 pages with stuff that doesn't add up. anyone have any suggestions or maybe an easier way to approach the problem.

Hi biochemguy, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Could you solve the problem if there were only 4 resistors?

we have to use all 5. it would be way easier if i didn't have the 4-ohm resistor. that's the one that is throwing a monkey wrench in my attempts. if i had 2 pairs of the 1 ohm resistors in parallel that would give me the 1-ohm right? (1/2+1/2)?

biochemguy said:
we have to use all 5. it would be way easier if i didn't have the 4-ohm resistor. that's the one that is throwing a monkey wrench in my attempts. if i had 2 pairs of the 1 ohm resistors in parallel that would give me the 1-ohm right? (1/2+1/2)?

Right. So the question is, is there a configuration of the four 1 Ω resistors that gives you the required 1 Ω total, but which provides a couple of nodes where you could attach the 4 Ω resistor where it would not make any difference (it would not conduct any current)?

not quite sure what you mean. how could you make it not conduct any current?

biochemguy said:
not quite sure what you mean. how could you make it not conduct any current?

What is required for current to flow through a resistor?

Voltage? sorry if I'm not up to speed, its just physics is definitely not my forte.

biochemguy said:
Voltage? sorry if I'm not up to speed, its just physics is definitely not my forte.

Yes, a potential difference across the resistor is required. So if you can lay out the other four resistors in such a way that two nodes happen to have the same potential, anything connected across those two nodes will have the same potential -- so no potential difference.

thanks gneill. i ended up figuring it out in the library this morning. I think he just wanted it in a single loop, but you seem to know way more than me so hopefully you can help when i have more question.
thanks again though

put 3 1 ohm resistors in parallel to each other then connect a single 1 ohm resistor in series with the previous combination. Then connect the last 4 ohm resistor in parallel to the whole combination, the resulting circuit will give you resistance equivalent to 1 ohm.

Thus the circuit applied to 12 volt source will give 12 ampere current through circuit.

gneill said:
Yes, a potential difference across the resistor is required. So if you can lay out the other four resistors in such a way that two nodes happen to have the same potential, anything connected across those two nodes will have the same potential -- so no potential difference.

Its a very good approach that you have posted over here, it would be of help to me if you can post a method or a diagram that how would you arrange these nodes and resistance in such order.

lazyaditya said:
Its a very good approach that you have posted over here, it would be of help to me if you can post a method or a diagram that how would you arrange these nodes and resistance in such order.

Think of a balanced bridge circuit. No current flows through the bridge.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43997&stc=1&d=1329403977.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 469
gneill said:
Think of a balanced bridge circuit. No current flows through the bridge.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43997&stc=1&d=1329403977.gif

Thanx !

Can you solve this problem pleasez ! I am getting answer -5 volts !

Attachments

• Photo-0116.jpg
    Photo-0116.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 376
lazyaditya said:
Can you solve this problem pleasez ! I am getting answer -5 volts !

New problems should be posted in their own, new threads. Also, you must show your own work/reasoning before we can know how to help you.

gneill said:
New problems should be posted in their own, new threads. Also, you must show your own work/reasoning before we can know how to help you.

ok. Didn't knew that !

Related to Resistor network question Cant get it

1. How do I solve a resistor network question?

To solve a resistor network question, you need to first identify the type of circuit it is (series, parallel, or a combination) and then use the appropriate equations and laws (Ohm's law, Kirchoff's laws) to calculate the total resistance and current flow.

2. What are the most common mistakes when solving a resistor network question?

The most common mistakes include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong formula or values, and not considering the direction of current flow in the circuit. It is important to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations.

3. How do I simplify a complex resistor network?

To simplify a complex resistor network, you can use the rules for combining resistors in series and parallel. This will help reduce the number of resistors in the circuit and make it easier to solve. You can also use equivalent resistance formulas to simplify the circuit.

4. What is the purpose of a resistor network in a circuit?

A resistor network is used to control the flow of current in a circuit and to limit the amount of voltage across different components. It is also commonly used to divide voltage or current in a specific way to achieve a desired output.

5. Can I use different resistor values in a resistor network?

Yes, you can use different resistor values in a resistor network as long as you follow the rules for combining resistors in series and parallel. However, keep in mind that using resistors with significantly different values may affect the overall resistance and current flow in the circuit.