Resistance from fingertip to Earth wire

In summary, a person connected one probe of a digital multimeter to the Earth terminal of a domestic AC supply and held the other probe. It showed a resistance of 1.8Mohm. When the person touched the end they were holding to the floor, it displayed a resistance beyond 200Mohm. This could be due to the fact that the floor is an insulator and offers no current path, while the person's body may have had a path to ground through another object such as a metal appliance or floor board radiator. Another possibility is that there was capacitive coupling to the AC power, causing a slight voltage drop on the probe that registered as a current. When the person tried the same experiment with a small area of water
hackhard
i connected one probe of digital mutimeter to the Earth terminal of domestic ac supply and held the other probe. it showed resistance of 1.8Mohm .
but when i touched that end (one i'd held) to the floor. it displays 1( beyond 200Mohm ). why so ? shouldn't resistance be lesser?doesnt any current flow if the live wire (directly , no human between) touches the floor?
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Using only your reported measurements, and without seeing exactly what you were doing, I would have to guess that your body had a path to ground other than the floor. In fact, the floor would seem to be an insulator - offering no current path at all.
1.8Mohm is a common low-voltage resistance across the body. It indicates moderate pressure on the volt-meter probe and very little perspiration. So I would guess that you were also leaning on some other object - such as a metal appliance or a floor board radiator.

There is another possibility. Depending on exactly how your multi-meter works, you may have had some capacitive coupling to the AC power. If the meter acted as a diode, it could have caused a slight voltage drop on the probe that registered as a current.

Likes Delta2
Possibly has to do with the facts that (1) the floor contact is a dry contact with VERY little surface area actually in contact (2) your skin is a wet contact and there is a lot of surface area making contact and (3) somehow the fact that your feet are a very large area make for a relatively conductive contact.

Basically, I'm saying that it's all because the probe touching the floor actually barely touches anything and is a very high resistance contact. Try the same experiment by putting the probe into a small area of water on the floor and let us know what happens.

Likes Delta2 and hackhard
.Scott said:
Using only your reported measurements, and without seeing exactly what you were doing, I would have to guess that your body had a path to ground other than the floor. In fact, the floor would seem to be an insulator - offering no current path at all.
1.8Mohm is a common low-voltage resistance across the body. It indicates moderate pressure on the volt-meter probe and very little perspiration. So I would guess that you were also leaning on some other object - such as a metal appliance or a floor board radiator.
but no i wasnt , you could try it yourself

hackhard said:
but no i wasnt , you could try it yourself

Just as you responded, I edited my response to add this:

There is another possibility. Depending on exactly how your multi-meter works, you may have had some capacitive coupling to the AC power. If the meter acted as a diode, it could have caused a slight voltage drop on the probe that registered as a current.

phinds said:
Try the same experiment by putting the probe into a small area of water on the floor and let us know what happens.
it worked! mutimeter shows 2.3 Mohm in water
also tried with a steel plate between floor and probe, shows roughly 12 Mohm

Last edited:
hackhard said:
it worked! mutimeter shows 2.3 Mohm in water
Oh good. I always love it when I'm right (because I so seldom am :smile:)

also tried with a steel plate between floor and probe, shows roughly 12 Mohm
And do you understand why that is?

Likes NascentOxygen
phinds said:
And do you understand why that is?
must have to do with contact surface area.
liquids provide larger contact surface area. occupy all unevenness
same does with sweat on human skin
a flat steel plate doesn't provide that large a surface area of contact

hackhard said:
Exactly. This is a valuable lesson about electronics.
Yes, but you'll notice that it does a lot better than the probe alone. Exactly the same principle.

why does the contact surface area matter?
what is the lumped circuit abstraction for probe- skin- floor system vs the probe- floor system (direct contact)

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
hackhard said:
Why do you think it matters? Obviously you now know that it DOES matter, so what is your explanation?

phinds said:
Why do you think it matters? Obviously you now know that it DOES matter, so what is your explanation?
i don't have one

hackhard said:
what is the lumped circuit abstraction for probe- skin- floor system vs the probe- floor system
I think it matters because it makes the resistance of the contact smaller. In the lumped circuit abstraction you have to put a resistance in between the probe and the floor (or in between the feet and the floor) that represents the resistance of the contact. The larger the contact area the smaller this resistance is.

Likes hackhard
hackhard said:
i don't have one
Well, think about this. You have a long rod of, say, medium resistance carbon and it is 1 cm diameter. You measure the resistance. Now you take another rod of the same material and the same length but a 2 cm diameter. Will the resistance be the same? Why or why not?

phinds said:
Well, think about this. You have a long rod of, say, medium resistance carbon and it is 1 cm diameter. You measure the resistance. Now you take another rod of the same material and the same length but a 2 cm diameter. Will the resistance be the same? Why or why not?
not same
cause more charge flows in same time through cross-section normal to field vector

hackhard said:
not same
cause more charge flows in same time through cross-section normal to field vector
Right. And more surface area is more cross section.

.Scott said:
Depending on exactly how your multi-meter works, you may have had some capacitive coupling to the AC power. If the meter acted as a diode, it could have caused a slight voltage drop on the probe that registered as a current.
can you explain exactly how capacitive coupling occurs , in this case?
where do the coupled electric field lines start and end?

to summarize all possibilities -
.Scott said:
Depending on exactly how your multi-meter works, you may have had some capacitive coupling to the AC power. If the meter acted as a diode, it could have caused a slight voltage drop on the probe that registered as a current.
phinds said:
Basically, I'm saying that it's all because the probe touching the floor actually barely touches anything and is a very high resistance contact.
hackhard said:
One of the problems of measuring high resistance with a DVM on circuits that can themselves generate small bio-voltages (body for example) is that readings can be fairly meaningless
body acts as an antenna picking up all sorts of signals, from mains to local radio to motors and many more things. This injects voltages into a high impedances setup like this
also the actual potential of the Earth terminal and the point of Earth that is measured to may not be equal, IOW a very small current could be present.

Likes Delta2

Related to Resistance from fingertip to Earth wire

1. What is resistance from fingertip to Earth wire?

Resistance from fingertip to Earth wire is the measure of the opposition to current flow when a person touches a conductive surface, such as the Earth, with their fingertip. It is a combination of the resistance of the person's body and the resistance of the Earth wire.

2. Why is it important to consider resistance from fingertip to Earth wire?

It is important to consider resistance from fingertip to Earth wire because it affects the safety of electrical systems and devices. If the resistance is too high, it can lead to electrical shock or malfunction of the equipment. Additionally, it can impact the accuracy of measurements in electrical systems.

3. What factors affect resistance from fingertip to Earth wire?

The factors that affect resistance from fingertip to Earth wire include the conductivity of the person's body, the type and condition of the surface being touched, and the distance between the fingertip and the Earth wire. Humidity levels and the presence of any insulating materials can also play a role.

4. How can resistance from fingertip to Earth wire be measured?

Resistance from fingertip to Earth wire can be measured using a multimeter, which measures the voltage drop between the fingertip and the Earth wire. This value can then be used to calculate the resistance using Ohm's law (resistance = voltage / current).

5. What is a safe level of resistance from fingertip to Earth wire?

A safe level of resistance from fingertip to Earth wire is typically considered to be less than 1 megaohm (1,000,000 ohms). However, the exact safe level may vary depending on the specific application and regulations. It is important to regularly test and maintain electrical systems to ensure the resistance remains within a safe range.