Resistance and Voltage, switch diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the relationship between resistance and voltage in a circuit. The user initially assumed that higher resistance leads to higher voltage readings, but this is not necessarily true as the voltage measured is only across one resistor. The correct order is H=E>C>B>G>D>F>A, with H and E having the same resistance value and giving the largest voltage reading. The user is now working on understanding how to calculate the voltage for each individual resistor in the circuit.
vysero

Homework Statement

Untitled.png
[/B]
Untitled.png

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I said: A>D=F>B=C>G>H=E

I assumed higher resistance would lead to higher readings. However here are the answers:

H=E>C=B>G>D>F>A

Can someone explain to me why this is? As you can see H=E which combined gives a total resistance of (2/3)ohms is, according to the answers, going to give the largest volt meter reading. Why is this true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vysero said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 80648
untitled-png.80648.png

Homework Equations

V=IR[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I said: A>D=F>B=C>G>H=E

I assumed higher resistance would lead to higher readings. However here are the answers:[/B]
Why assume that? The volt-meter only measures the voltage drop across that one resistor. Its resistance is fixed, so the voltage is proportional to the current through that resistor. Any current supplied by the battery must pass through that resistor, some how is that current related to the overall resistance of the circuit?

H=E>C=B>G>D>F>A

Can someone explain to me why this is? As you can see H=E which combined gives a total resistance of (2/3)ohms is, according to the answers, going to give the largest volt meter reading. Why is this true?
How do you get any particular resistance value?

No resistance value is given for any of the resistors. Are we to assume that they all have the same resistance?

SammyS said:
Why assume that? The volt-meter only measures the voltage drop across that one resistor. Its resistance is fixed, so the voltage is proportional to the current through that resistor. Any current supplied by the battery must pass through that resistor, some how is that current related to the overall resistance of the circuit?

How do you get any particular resistance value?

No resistance value is given for any of the resistors. Are we to assume that they all have the same resistance?

OH geesh sorry I feel like a dork I forgot a part of the question here is the explanation:

Untitled.png

vysero said:
OH geesh sorry I feel like a dork I forgot a part of the question here is the explanation:

View attachment 80652
untitled-png.80652.png

You could type some of this out.

Part of the explanation has been given. We need a response from you. You have over 100 posts, so you should know how things work here.

How did you arrive at your order? (in addition to having voltage behavior reversed.)

I am not sure how I had voltage behavior reversed. V = IR so and increase in resistance will increase voltage. If I = 1 and R = 4 then V = 4 if I = 1 and R = 10 then V = 10. 1<10

However, I did not take into account that the measurement of V was across only one resistor. I am currently trying to work out how to get the V for that one resistor in each configuration.

Thank you for the insight I understand now!

Related to Resistance and Voltage, switch diagram

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

What is voltage?

Voltage is the measure of the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the symbol V.

How are resistance and voltage related?

Resistance and voltage are directly proportional to each other. This means that as resistance increases, voltage also increases and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance (V=IR).

What is a switch diagram?

A switch diagram is a visual representation of how a switch is connected in a circuit. It typically shows the flow of current and the different components connected to the switch.

Why is understanding resistance and voltage important?

Understanding resistance and voltage is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits. It allows us to calculate the amount of current flowing through a circuit and determine if a component is functioning properly. It also helps us ensure the safety and efficiency of electrical systems.