Research Poll: Public Support for a Nuclear Powered Aeroplane

In summary, Dawson S is a student from Australia completing a research project on the feasibility of a nuclear-powered airplane. He will present his project at the Stockholm International Youth Science Seminars in December. He is seeking opinions from different community groups and has asked for votes and comments. Some respondents are open to the idea of a nuclear-powered airplane, while others have concerns about safety and feasibility. Overall, there is divided opinion on the topic.

With dwindling fossil fuels, would you fly on/endorse a nuclear-powered plane?

• Total voters
dawson300
Hi,

My name is Dawson S and I'm a student from Australia. I'm currently completing a research project into the modern-day feasibility of a nuclear-powered aeroplane (as first suggested in the Cold War). I am to deliver this project in December at the Stockholm International Youth Science Seminars where I will attend the Nobel Prize ceremonies.

I am interested in poll results from different community groups and as such I have approached this forum. Please vote above and comment below should you have any strong opinions. I only require opinions; I already have all of the scientific data I require for my project (this is one of the last sections I am to complete).

Voting is to be done with any information you can muster, not information I provide.

Thank-you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
If the proper safety procedures were in place and evidence suggested it was safe I'd be fine with it.

It's not feasible. The shielding alone makes it uneconomical.

No problem with nuclear. But how would you get such a thing into the wild blue younder?

I think you have a problem here with people saying it won't work, but if it were feasible they would fly on it.

Your poll is only asking if one existed would one fly on it. But your post says you are researching the feasability of it. Maybe I am misreading it, but I feel you are asking me to vote on something like "if you could fly on the Starship Enterprise, would you?" although it may never be feasable.

I'm responding more to the endorse.

I'd certainly take a nuclear power rocketship to Mars, however (assuming it's launched from orbit). Failure of that would only cost the lives of those onboard, rather than the health and safety of the public.

The major problem I see (besides the technical infeasibility) is the issue of safety. While airplane crashes are rare, unless one could be designed in such a way that it was extremely improbable that, in the event of a crash, it would not scatter radioactive debris around a crash site, then I would say that, even if it could be built, it probably should not.

I think that the idea goes as far back as Nazi Germany, but it has never been found to be feasible. Nuclear powered spacecraft are another story.

I'm going with the maybe vote. I have no problem with nuclear, per se, but is it the BEST choice, the most economical, the safest, the most feasible to design, the most reliable long-term solution, etc.? In other words, if someone did manage to design one that worked, and a commercial airline put it up in the air and didn't charge some exhorbitant amount to fly it, it doesn't much matter to me what's "under the hood" so to speak. But, when it comes to endorsing it, I don't know. It might make more sense to pursue some other fuel option that won't have to overcome weight issues, or that would be cheaper to develop, thus cheaper to buy and keep the cost of a ticket to take a flight on that plane within a reasonable amount.

Related to Research Poll: Public Support for a Nuclear Powered Aeroplane

1. What is a nuclear powered aeroplane?

A nuclear powered aeroplane is an aircraft that uses a nuclear reactor as its main source of power instead of traditional fossil fuels. It is currently a concept and has not been successfully developed or used in commercial aviation.

2. Is it safe to have a nuclear reactor on an aircraft?

The safety of a nuclear powered aeroplane is a major concern and has not been fully addressed. While nuclear reactors are highly regulated and have safety measures in place, there is still a risk of potential accidents or malfunctions that could pose a threat to both the aircraft and the surrounding environment.

3. What are the potential benefits of a nuclear powered aeroplane?

One potential benefit of a nuclear powered aeroplane is that it could potentially reduce the carbon emissions and environmental impact of air travel. It could also potentially allow for longer flight times and greater distance coverage without the need for frequent refueling.

4. What are the challenges of developing a nuclear powered aeroplane?

There are several challenges to developing a nuclear powered aeroplane. Some of the major challenges include ensuring the safety and security of the nuclear reactor, finding a suitable and lightweight design for the reactor, and addressing public concerns and perceptions about nuclear energy.

5. What is the public's opinion on a nuclear powered aeroplane?

The public's opinion on a nuclear powered aeroplane is mixed. Some people believe it could be a solution to reducing carbon emissions from air travel, while others have concerns about the safety and environmental impact of such a technology. More research and public discussion is needed to better understand the overall support for a nuclear powered aeroplane.