Research of next generation battery need which enginnering course?

In summary, when considering which engineering course to choose in order to do research in battery, it is important to keep in mind the multidisciplinary nature of this field. While a standard undergraduate engineering curriculum may not cover all the necessary areas, pursuing graduate programs or finding businesses working in this area can provide valuable knowledge and skills. Of the three options given, chemical engineering would be the most relevant for battery research, with mechanical and electrical engineering also having some relevance. However, funding and business skills may be just as important as technical knowledge in this field.
kohalex9
I really want to do research in battery after I finish my undergraduate engineering course. which engineering course should I choose so that I am well prepared to do research in battery? (mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering) Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
kohalex9 said:
I really want to do research in battery after I finish my undergraduate engineering course. which engineering course should I choose so that I am well prepared to do research in battery? (mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering) Thank you.

Hey kohalex9 and welcome to the forums.

I would hazard a guess that you will not learn enough for this kind of thing in one standard engineering undergraduate curriculum because this problem would not only consist of electrical/electronic engineering, but also of things involving material science as well as some pure physics and chemistry.

It might help if you find businesses working in this area as well as any graduate programs that specialize in this kind of thing because again you are not likely to be doing this straight after a normal undergraduate program path due to the scope involved which is going to be largely multi-disciplinary.

Thank you. I just wonder out of these 3 engineering course (mechanical eng, electrical eng, chemical eng), which one would prepare me THE MOST to do research in battery? or if I take 2 engineering course together like mechanical+chemical, does this option will be better?

Definitely chemical engineering, if you must do one of those engineering. Chemistry, physics, and material science are actually the most relevant in research, then mechanical eng. (especially thermodynamics) or electrical eng. would be ok ancillary disciplines that will have more relevance in manufacturing processes and end use applications. But remember, this is purely my semi-educated guess and personal opinion.

Last edited:
Law and business. The biggest hurdles for next generation batteries is not the technical aspect of it, far from it. The biggest hurdle is getting funding for the researchers. The research itself is trivial compared to getting the funding =)

Related to Research of next generation battery need which enginnering course?

1. What is the purpose of researching next generation battery technology?

The purpose of researching next generation battery technology is to improve the performance of batteries and find more efficient and sustainable ways to store and use energy. This can lead to advancements in various industries such as transportation, renewable energy, and consumer electronics.

2. What engineering courses are relevant to the research of next generation batteries?

Some of the engineering courses that are relevant to the research of next generation batteries include chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering. These fields provide a strong foundation in understanding the principles and processes involved in battery technology.

3. What are some current challenges in developing next generation batteries?

One of the main challenges in developing next generation batteries is finding materials that can store more energy and have a longer lifespan. Another challenge is improving the safety and sustainability of batteries, as well as reducing their cost and increasing their efficiency.

4. How does research in next generation battery technology impact the environment?

Research in next generation battery technology can have a positive impact on the environment by reducing the use of fossil fuels and promoting the use of renewable energy sources. It can also help reduce the carbon footprint of various industries, such as transportation, that rely on batteries for power.

5. What are some potential applications of next generation batteries?

Next generation batteries can have a wide range of applications, including powering electric vehicles, storing energy from renewable sources, and powering portable electronic devices. They can also be used in grid-scale energy storage systems and in medical devices such as pacemakers.