Research Labs for Flow Control - RPI & Maryland

In summary, the conversation discusses research on flow control and its various applications, particularly in the aerospace industry. Some universities mentioned that may have research in this area include University of California Davis, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, German Aerospace Centre (DLR), and University of Texas at Arlington. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of flow control for sailplanes and questions if the individual is interested in UAV technology.
JD88
Does anyone know of any good university labs that do research in flow control and its many applications? I know RPI has a flow control lab and Maryland does some research in this as well.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean flow control? CFM of airflow? Controlling hydraulic flow? If it's CFM of flow such as in cylinder heads or pumps, the companies that are major produces tend to have the best r&d regarding the specific applications. If your talking about hydraulic flow, well all you need is a fluid mechanics book.

Sorry for not being specific.

I actually mean flow control used for aerospace applications. For instance, I have seen it used for preventing flow separation on wings and altering the flow over micro aerial vehicles in order to control them without the use of control surfaces such as ailerons, elevators...

Based on some articles I've accumulated over the last year, here are some universities that may have research in your area.

"Effects of blade tip modifications on wind turbine performance using vortex model"
University of California Davis

"Gurney flap—Lift enhancement, mechanisms and applications" (my favorite device)
Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics

"Dynamic stall on a supercritical airfoil"
Institute of Aerodynamic and Flow Technology, German Aerospace Centre (DLR), Göttingen, Germany

"Numerical study of passive and active flow separation control
over a NACA0012 airfoil"
Department of Mathematics, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX 76019, United States

I think South Dakota State of Minds probably has something as well (just a guess)

As for sailplanes ( no ailerons ) you just need a big rudder and some dyhedral for stability :)

Are you interested in UAV technology or something?

Last edited:

Related to Research Labs for Flow Control - RPI & Maryland

1. What is the purpose of the research labs for flow control at RPI and Maryland?

The research labs for flow control at RPI and Maryland aim to study and develop new techniques for controlling the flow of fluids in various systems. This includes applications in aerospace, automotive, and industrial engineering.

2. What types of experiments are conducted at these research labs?

The research labs for flow control at RPI and Maryland conduct both theoretical and experimental studies. This may involve using computer simulations, wind tunnels, and other specialized equipment to test and validate new flow control techniques.

3. What are some examples of flow control techniques being researched at these labs?

Some examples of flow control techniques being researched at these labs include active and passive control methods, such as using actuators and sensors to manipulate the flow, as well as implementing surface modifications or special coatings to alter the flow behavior.

4. How do these research labs collaborate with other organizations and industries?

The research labs for flow control at RPI and Maryland collaborate with other organizations and industries through partnerships, joint projects, and sharing of resources and expertise. This allows for a broader and more practical application of the research findings.

5. How does the research conducted at these labs contribute to advancements in flow control technology?

The research conducted at these labs contributes to advancements in flow control technology by providing a better understanding of fluid dynamics and developing new techniques that can improve efficiency, reduce energy consumption, and enhance performance in various engineering systems.