Require help about CFD analysis of turbomachines

In summary, someone with CFD experience would be a better choice to help with your thesis because they have a background in the subject. They can give you advice on how to get experimental data and how to mesh your models correctly.
jayaero
hi,
I want to learn turbo machines analysis in GAMBIT and Fluent...
Anyone who have experience of CFD please help me...
please give me if u have any tutorials (apart from given within softwares)...
I am working for my masters thesis on effect of stagger angle on turbine blade cascade.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You really need to learn CFD principles in general. People who use CFD or even FEA for that matter can be dangerous; seriously. It is way to easy to throw a model into Fluent/CFX/etc, and get an answer. Without background, you'll have no idea how accurate that answer is.

An experienced and inexperienced CFD'er solving the exact same problem could be as far off as 50%. Find some tutorials, but if you're doing a masters, Sign up for Computational Fluid Dynamics!. Write a 1D solver. Then write a pseudo 2D solver. Then learn principles of meshing. Then start your thesis. You have plenty of time, don't rush it.

hi
Thanks for reply.
I know the fundamentals of CFD and I have also done a course on CFD in first year of M.Tech. degree.I am B.E.(Aeronautical) so I have CFD background.I have written some small programs on C for heat transfer and 2-D fluid flow but I don't want to go into coding side.
I agree with u on the thing that experience is required on Fluent and otherwise anyone can solve problem but interpretation plus validation is important.Therefore I need help of some person who can guide me on 1.how to get experimental data on turbo machines 2.how to get some good tutorials on the same and send any research report if he have and overall any suggestions for how to go about dissertation.
Thank you.

Most experimental data I would assume is proprietary first off. Aside from that, you'll probably have to go journal hunting. You can also try the NASA Technical Reports server.

thanks...

Related to Require help about CFD analysis of turbomachines

1. What is CFD analysis and how is it used in turbomachine design?

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) analysis is a numerical simulation technique used to analyze and predict the fluid flow behavior and performance of a turbomachine. It involves using complex mathematical models and algorithms to solve the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids. CFD analysis is used in turbomachine design to optimize the aerodynamic performance, improve efficiency, and reduce development time and costs.

2. What are the main challenges in conducting CFD analysis of turbomachines?

The main challenges in CFD analysis of turbomachines include accurately modeling the complex geometry and flow physics, dealing with turbulence and boundary layer effects, and ensuring convergence and accuracy of the simulation. Specialized software and high-performance computing resources are also required for efficient and accurate simulations.

3. How does CFD analysis help in improving the performance of turbomachines?

CFD analysis provides detailed insights into the flow behavior and performance of turbomachines, allowing engineers to identify areas of improvement and optimize the design for better performance. It can also help in reducing losses and improving efficiency by analyzing the effects of different design parameters on the flow behavior.

4. What are some common applications of CFD analysis in turbomachine design?

Some common applications of CFD analysis in turbomachine design include optimization of blade profiles and geometry, analysis of flow separation and secondary flows, prediction of performance and efficiency, and evaluation of different operating conditions and flow regimes.

5. What are the limitations of CFD analysis in turbomachine design?

CFD analysis is limited by the accuracy of the mathematical models and assumptions used, as well as the computational resources and time required for simulations. It is also important to validate the results of CFD analysis with experimental data to ensure accuracy and reliability. Additionally, CFD analysis may not capture all the real-world effects and factors that can impact the performance of turbomachines.