Request for help for Finite Difference code for Matlab

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Joe is seeking help on using Matlab for his heat transfer project. He has completed the first part of the project and now needs to input a 130 x 130 matrix using the Matrix Inversion Method. He is not familiar with how to do this on Matlab and is looking for assistance. The suggested solutions are to use the "input" function or the "zeros" function with a loop.
MrJoeT
Hi,

I have a project for heat transfer, I know what I want to do but I don't know how to do it on Matlab.

My assignment is attachment 1 - project.pdf

The first part I have done (attachment 2 - computer project.pdf)

I know I should be using the Matrix Inversion Method, but as I need to input a 130 x 130 matrix I cannot do it manually. I have only used Matlab a handful of times so would really appreciate some help.

What I need is a way of using Matlab to input the matrix elements for me, does anyone know how I would go about this? Or another way of solving this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Attachments

• project.pdf
    14.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Computer Project.pdf
    279.3 KB · Views: 226
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Joe,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about using Matlab for your heat transfer project. I am happy to assist you with finding a solution. First, let me commend you on completing the first part of your project. That is a great start!

To input a 130 x 130 matrix in Matlab, you can use the "input" function. This function allows you to enter data into a matrix by specifying the number of rows and columns. For example, if you want to create a 3 x 3 matrix, you would use the following code:

A = input('Enter a 3 x 3 matrix: ');

You can then enter the values for each element of the matrix when prompted by Matlab. This method can be used for any size matrix, including your 130 x 130 matrix.

Alternatively, you can also use the "zeros" function to create a matrix of a specific size and then use a loop to input the values for each element. This method may be more efficient for larger matrices.

I hope this helps you with inputting your matrix elements. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your project!

Dear Joe,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your Finite Difference code for Matlab. It sounds like you have a clear understanding of what you want to achieve in your heat transfer project, but are struggling with the technical implementation in Matlab.

First, I would recommend reviewing the Matlab documentation and tutorials to familiarize yourself with the program and its capabilities. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where you can find step-by-step guides and examples for using Matlab for heat transfer simulations.

In terms of inputting a large matrix, Matlab has built-in functions and commands for creating and manipulating matrices. One option is the "rand" function, which can generate a matrix of random numbers within a specified range. You can also use the "for" loop to iterate through the matrix elements and assign specific values based on your heat transfer equation.

I would also suggest breaking down the problem into smaller steps and testing each step separately before attempting to solve the entire project. This will help you identify any errors or issues and make it easier to troubleshoot.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck with your project. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need further assistance.

Best,

Related to Request for help for Finite Difference code for Matlab

What is a finite difference code?

A finite difference code is a numerical method used to approximate solutions to differential equations. It involves dividing a continuous domain into a discrete grid and approximating the derivatives by finite differences between grid points.

Why use Matlab for finite difference codes?

Matlab is a popular programming language commonly used in scientific and engineering fields. It has built-in functions and tools for solving differential equations, making it an efficient choice for implementing finite difference codes.

What is the process for creating a finite difference code in Matlab?

The general process involves defining the problem, choosing the appropriate finite difference scheme, discretizing the domain, and solving the resulting system of equations. This process may vary depending on the specific problem and desired accuracy.

How can I check the accuracy of my finite difference code?

There are several methods for checking the accuracy of a finite difference code, such as comparison with analytical solutions, using a finer grid, and checking for convergence. It is also important to carefully review the code and ensure it follows the correct mathematical formulation.

Where can I find resources for learning and improving my finite difference code in Matlab?

There are many online tutorials, books, and courses available for learning and improving your finite difference code in Matlab. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced colleagues or consulting with experts in the field can also be helpful.