Representing instantaneous velocity vs time on a graph

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of drawing an instantaneous velocity vs time graph for an object moving at a constant velocity. The speaker mentions using the equation dx/dt to represent instantaneous velocity and the unit of measurement as meters/seconds. They also consider using the variable v instead of x for displacement. However, the speaker is unsure how to represent a constant velocity on the graph.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

I need to draw an instantaneous velocity vs time graph of an object moving at a constant velocity, provide an equation, and explain what it all means. I know that instantaneous velocity is typically shown as dx/dt (the derivative of change in position with respect to time and I know the unit of measurement would be meters/seconds) However, because it says to show velocity, I feel like I need to represent the displacement in terms of v instead of x yet in going online to see how it's shown, it had looked like v was the typical variable used. I also have to draw one for position vs time (average velocity) so I'm not sure the best to show it for the instantaeous velocity graph as I know velocity is typically shown when representing acceleration. Any input would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I need to draw an instantaneous velocity vs time graph of an object moving at a constant velocity, provide an equation, and explain what it all means. I know that instantaneous velocity is typically shown as dx/dt (the derivative of change in position with respect to time and I know the unit of measurement would be meters/seconds) However, because it says to show velocity, I feel like I need to represent the displacement in terms of v instead of x

You might be over thinking the problem. The question says..

I need to draw an instantaneous velocity vs time graph of an object moving at a constant velocity

How do you show

y(t)=constant

on a graph of y vs t?

Related to Representing instantaneous velocity vs time on a graph

What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate at which an object is moving at a specific moment in time. It is the slope of the tangent line to the position vs time graph at that point.

How do you represent instantaneous velocity vs time on a graph?

Instantaneous velocity can be represented on a graph by plotting velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The resulting graph will show the change in velocity over time.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall rate of change of an object's position over a period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the rate of change at a specific moment in time. Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on a position vs time graph.

How can you determine the direction of an object's motion from an instantaneous velocity vs time graph?

The direction of an object's motion can be determined by looking at the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on an instantaneous velocity vs time graph. If the slope is positive, the object is moving in the positive direction, and if the slope is negative, the object is moving in the negative direction.

Why is it important to represent instantaneous velocity vs time on a graph?

Representing instantaneous velocity vs time on a graph allows us to visualize and analyze an object's motion at a specific moment in time. This can help us understand the acceleration and direction of an object, as well as make predictions about its future motion.