Representation of two relation matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses how to represent the composition of relations using matrices and how to map elements from one set to another using the matrices. The conversation also mentions the use of Boolean sum in the multiplicative process.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

w0jbwg.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what relations are individually but what do I do to represent the composition of both? Is it some matrix operation? Would I multiply them, but instead of adding I use the boolean sum?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

w0jbwg.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know what relations are individually but what do I do to represent the composition of both? Is it some matrix operation?

Let ##R = R_1 \circ R_2 : A → C##

If you have an element ##a \in A##, how would you be mapping it all the way to ##C## given the two matrices you have?

Hint: Think about the dimensions of the elements in ##A##.

I know that I can use the venn diagrams and draw arrows and stuff, but when I multiply the two matrices together, I get the right answer. So will it work for all of them?

Panphobia said:
I know that I can use the venn diagrams and draw arrows and stuff, but when I multiply the two matrices together, I get the right answer. So will it work for all of them?

Yes, suppose you denote the upper matrix in the problem by ##M_1## and the lower one by ##M_2##.

According to ##R_1##, you map the elements of ##A## to ##B##. The matrix of the relation happens to be ##M_1##.

So ##aM_1 \in B##.

Then to get to ##C##, you multiply by ##M_2##.

So ##aM_1M_2 \in C##.

Ahh alright, and I was right to assume that you used the boolean sum, during the multiplicative process?

I believe the question is simply asking you to multiply ##M_1## and ##M_2##. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'Boolean sum' though.

If an element of A, a, and an element of B, b, are related then, aRb == 1, so there can only be values of 0 or 1, boolean sum is defined as a logical or so
0 + 0 = 0
1 + 0 = 1
0 + 1 = 1
1 + 1 = 1

Panphobia said:
If an element of A, a, and an element of B, b, are related then, aRb == 1, so there can only be values of 0 or 1, boolean sum is defined as a logical or so
0 + 0 = 0
1 + 0 = 1
0 + 1 = 1
1 + 1 = 1

Ahh you intended these as logical matrices. If that's the case then yes.

Likes 1 person

Related to Representation of two relation matrices

1. What is a relation matrix?

A relation matrix is a mathematical representation of relationships between two sets of objects or entities. It is typically represented as a grid or table, with the rows and columns corresponding to the elements of the two sets and the cells representing the presence or absence of a relationship between the corresponding elements.

2. How is a relation matrix different from an adjacency matrix?

While both relation and adjacency matrices represent relationships between two sets of objects, the main difference is that an adjacency matrix is used to represent relationships between elements of the same set, while a relation matrix represents relationships between elements of two different sets.

3. What is the significance of representing relationships in a matrix form?

Representing relationships in a matrix form allows for a more systematic and organized analysis of the relationships between two sets. It also allows for the application of various mathematical techniques, such as matrix operations, to analyze and manipulate the relationships.

4. Can a relation matrix have non-numeric values in its cells?

Yes, a relation matrix can have non-numeric values in its cells. These values can represent different types of relationships, such as "related" or "not related", or can be used to represent the strength or direction of a relationship.

5. How can a relation matrix be used in scientific research?

Relation matrices are commonly used in scientific research to analyze and understand complex relationships between different variables or entities. They can be used in fields such as sociology, psychology, and ecology to study social networks, human behavior, and food webs, respectively. They can also be used in data analysis and machine learning to identify patterns and make predictions based on the relationships between variables.