Repeated eigenvalues+ differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of differential equations using eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The main issue discussed is an error in the calculation of the variable ρ, which leads to incorrect results. After rechecking the calculation, the correct solution is found.
jeffy

Homework Statement

dx/dt= -4x -y

dy/dt= x-2y

x(0)=4 y(0)=1

x(t)=?
y(t)=?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) find eigenvalues
(x+4)(X+2)+1
X=-3,-3

2)eigenvectors:
(-3-A)(x,y)=(0,0)

eignvector=(-1,1)

3)using the P from this page http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/RepeatedEigenvalues.aspx

i found P to be (-1,0)

4) so i plugged the eigenvector and the P into the solution for repeated eigenvalues in the link above and got C1=1 and C2=-5

5) plugging those values in i got x=4e^(-3t)+(5t)e^(-3t) and y=e^(-3t)-(5t)e^-3t

however when i entered this into the program(igot all the syntax right) my answer is wrong and I've tried it many times

Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck your calculation of ρ. I think you accidentally flipped a sign.

Thanks for the reply
This is how i calculated P

(lambda-AI)=(-1,1)

1 1 = -1
-1 -1 = 1

addded (1) to (2) to get (2)'

1 1 = -1
0 0 = 0
therefore P1+P2=-1
P1= -P2-1

P=[ -1-P2,P2]

setting P2 to zero i get

(-1,0)

The equation you want to solve is

[tex](A-\lambda I) \vec{\rho} = \vec{\eta}[/tex]

not

[tex](\lambda I-A) \vec{\rho} = \vec{\eta}[/tex]

Its works Thanks for your help

Related to Repeated eigenvalues+ differential equation

1. What is the significance of repeated eigenvalues in a differential equation?

Repeated eigenvalues in a differential equation indicate that there is a repeated root in the characteristic equation, which affects the solution of the equation and can lead to multiple solutions.

2. How do repeated eigenvalues impact the stability of a system in a differential equation?

The presence of repeated eigenvalues can lead to a loss of stability in a system, as it results in a degenerate case where the system's behavior cannot be fully determined by its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

3. How can repeated eigenvalues be handled in a differential equation?

Repeated eigenvalues can be handled by using the method of reduction of order, where a second linearly independent solution is found by multiplying the first solution by the independent variable. Other methods such as variation of parameters can also be used.

4. Can a differential equation have repeated eigenvalues for all initial conditions?

No, a differential equation can only have repeated eigenvalues for certain initial conditions. For other initial conditions, the eigenvalues will be distinct and the solution will be unique.

5. What is the relationship between repeated eigenvalues and the Jordan canonical form?

The Jordan canonical form is a special form of a matrix that can be used to solve systems with repeated eigenvalues. The size and structure of the Jordan blocks in this form are determined by the multiplicity of the repeated eigenvalues.